mild cognitive impairment

kathryn4946

Mar 31, 2016
Hi,My mum was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment about 4 months ago.Although her memory problems at the moment are not going any worse she has got into the habit of spending her days in bed.She constantly complains of pressure to the top of her head.I have had her to the gp but he seems to think its anxiety.
I take her out when I can but I work full time so its very hard for me.I am very worried that her life is passing her by spending it in bed.Does anyone else have any experience of this pressure in the head.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi,My mum was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment about 4 months ago.Although her memory problems at the moment are not going any worse she has got into the habit of spending her days in bed.She constantly complains of pressure to the top of her head.I have had her to the gp but he seems to think its anxiety.
I take her out when I can but I work full time so its very hard for me.I am very worried that her life is passing her by spending it in bed.Does anyone else have any experience of this pressure in the head.

Hi Katherine

Sorry to read about your Mum. My symptoms began with cognitive impairment over 6 years ago (I am now mid 50s) the pressure that I had in my head was horrendous and caused dreadful symptoms that medics saw as anxiety, well the pain in my head would have caused anyone anxiety - I could not get out of bed for days on end. I am six years down the line the last two days spent with horrendous migraine which is usually followed by extreme fatigue and worsening of cognitive issues. The cause is physical but getting a Dr to acknowledge that has been very difficult. My life seems to be passing me by a lot of the time as I am too weak physically or am mentally impaired to be able to cope with much other than the basics.

Please get her back to the GP and insist upon some referral for further investigations.

Best wishes
Sue

kathryn4946

Mar 31, 2016
Hi Katherine

Sorry to read about your Mum. My symptoms began with cognitive impairment over 6 years ago (I am now mid 50s) the pressure that I had in my head was horrendous and caused dreadful symptoms that medics saw as anxiety, well the pain in my head would have caused anyone anxiety - I could not get out of bed for days on end. I am six years down the line the last two days spent with horrendous migraine which is usually followed by extreme fatigue and worsening of cognitive issues. The cause is physical but getting a Dr to acknowledge that has been very difficult. My life seems to be passing me by a lot of the time as I am too weak physically or am mentally impaired to be able to cope with much other than the basics.

Please get her back to the GP and insist upon some referral for further investigations.

Best wishes
Sue

Hi Sue thankyou so much for your reply and Im so sorry you are too having the same problems as my mum.My mum as you can only just manage the basics which is the opposite of what she was like.My daughter has brought her to see me only this afternoon and I can tell she needs to go home due to the pain in her head.It is so worrying. You are only 5 years older than myself and you have lots of years ahead so they need to sort this as they do for my mum.Are they doing further investigations on yourself

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue thankyou so much for your reply and Im so sorry you are too having the same problems as my mum.My mum as you can only just manage the basics which is the opposite of what she was like.My daughter has brought her to see me only this afternoon and I can tell she needs to go home due to the pain in her head.It is so worrying. You are only 5 years older than myself and you have lots of years ahead so they need to sort this as they do for my mum.Are they doing further investigations on yourself

Hi Kathryn

I can understand I used to work and be very active and am now very frustrated:(. They did MRI scans on me and found nothing but what no-one seemed to realise was that I was in immense chronic head pain that was uncontrolled, I sympathise with your Mum very much. I used to nurse so do my best to manage my pain control but it is difficult when you lose the ability to think. I still get bad head pain but not as severe as I did when my symptoms first began, in part I think due to how my brain perceives pain as I know I still get the 'activity' that causes the pain. I found aspirin to be the only thing that helps me and wearing an ice cap also gives me a lot of relief, a cold flannel (from the freezer)on the forehead may help your Mum. Please though do get onto the GP and tell them of her pain as she likely cannot express it to them. The biggest hurdle has been to get the Drs to realise that this is physical and not simply 'mental', it is not my mind to shout and scream at people but have become very aggressive at times. All blood tests have not shown anything other than Herpes virus (cold sore) which I had in the beginning and kept flaring up with the additional stress of being unwell. I am able to look after myself a little better now and have a home help and the virus seems to be dormant at present but suspect it is a lot to do with it.

I hope you get some help and your Mum improves.

kathryn4946

Mar 31, 2016
It's very interesting about the pressure/pain in the head I get excruciating pain in my head sometimes but hadnt connected it to Cognitive inpairment
Hi, I have been telling my mum its not connected but she is convinced it is. I only tell her this because that is what the dr is telling me.I am definatley taking her back to the drs because at the minute her life consists of pain.If you read the lst reply Sue recommends aspirin I will get her some maybe you could try thatas well.Im sorry to hear of your pain s I know what my mum is going through and its terrible.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi, I have been telling my mum its not connected but she is convinced it is. I only tell her this because that is what the dr is telling me.I am definatley taking her back to the drs because at the minute her life consists of pain.If you read the lst reply Sue recommends aspirin I will get her some maybe you could try thatas well.Im sorry to hear of your pain s I know what my mum is going through and its terrible.

Hi Kathryn & Sarah

Patients should always be listened to they know their bodies best.

I just want to point out that I don't recommend Aspirin - I am only stating that that is what I have found helps me. Please get her to the GP and ask about aspirin, your Mum could have something that the Dr is aware of that could contraindicate it for her.

Today my period of pain has passed and my cognition skills have returned - I have spent all day on paperwork which for 21 days out of 28 makes no sense to me. The link is definitely there - I don't understand why they don't do EEGS.

I hope you manage to find some relief for your poor Mum Kathryn

Best wishes
Sue :)

Last edited:

kathryn4946

Mar 31, 2016
Hi Kathryn & Sarah

Patients should always be listened to they know their bodies best.

I just want to point out that I don't recommend Aspirin - I am only stating that that is what I have found helps me. Please get her to the GP and ask about aspirin, your Mum could have something that the Dr is aware of that could contraindicate it for her.

Today my period of pain has passed and my cognition skills have returned - I have spent all day on paperwork which for 21 days out of 28 makes no sense to me. The link is definitely there - I don't understand why they don't do EEGS.

I hope you manage to find some relief for your poor Mum Kathryn

Best wishes
Sue :)
Hi Sue,Thanks for your reply and im so glad that you are having some relief from your pain.I will definatley take my mum back to the gp and thanks i will check about using aspirin hadnt though about that.
Thanks again Kathryn

grandson39

Dec 3, 2018
hi [USER="Sue J, member: 13793" /USER] did you see the recent research linking MCI to Herpes virus?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
hi [USER="Sue J, member: 13793" /USER] did you see the recent research linking MCI to Herpes virus?
The thread is over 2.5 years old and the person you're replying to hasn't logged into the site in over a year, not to say they don't still read on here but not logged in so they won't be notified of your question addressed to them.
Better to start a new thread than resurrect a zombie one.
K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C