Memory Clinic - Things are Looking Up!

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
I can't praise the lady we spoke to at the Memory Clinic enough. We managed to get mum there and the location was bright, wheelchair-friendly and welcoming. We came into the room with mum and all talked together, before we left mum for a while for some tests. The lady who did the assessment was able to tell us that there is certainly are certainly problems with mum's memory and general cognitive ability and her inability to read and interpret information is not necessarily caused by straight forward sight problems.

Just to have someone take the time to listen and give mum chance to put things into her own words and actually hear mum given the confidence to put across what she wanted to say and talk honestly about how she is feeling and how her capabilities have diminished was such a huge relief!

We've been told it could be a week or two before we hear again and there may be follow-up investigations. Mum has taken it all incredibly well and it seems to us anyway that she's somehow relived to have got everything out in the open. She's exhausted today and it hasn't helped that she's had people coming and going without much explanation (which was beyond my control)

It's taken over 2 years to get her to this stage i.e. accepting that Memory Clinic was a good idea! If anyone is reading this and still debating whether they need to make an appointment, or what difference it will make, all I can say is that it has already for us! It's not just that mum has finally 'done something' to confront her problems when she'd convinced herself that there was nothings he could do; it's also made a massive difference to those closest to her, because fingers crossed, we'll have a name for what we're fighting and just as importantly, silly as it may seem, we have validation. We know there is a problem, regardless of what other people who don't see mum that often may think and that it isn't all in our heads! We also know that we're on the right track. The lady who did the assessment said she had absolutely no idea how we had managed up until now and to hear someone say they understood and believed that we're working our socks off and pulling out all the stops to enable mum to stay at home and keep her safe and as happy as possible was just amazing after everything we've been through as a family.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for anyone seeking a diagnosis. I hope they realise how much their courage is appreciated by their loved ones :)

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi Mousehill.It was good to read your post.I am taking my hubby on his first visit to the Memory Clinic on Thursday and I am wondering what to expect.Hopefully our experience will be similar to yours.I do hope your situation improves for you all.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I can't praise the lady we spoke to at the Memory Clinic enough. We managed to get mum there and the location was bright, wheelchair-friendly and welcoming. We came into the room with mum and all talked together, before we left mum for a while for some tests. The lady who did the assessment was able to tell us that there is certainly are certainly problems with mum's memory and general cognitive ability and her inability to read and interpret information is not necessarily caused by straight forward sight problems.

Just to have someone take the time to listen and give mum chance to put things into her own words and actually hear mum given the confidence to put across what she wanted to say and talk honestly about how she is feeling and how her capabilities have diminished was such a huge relief!

We've been told it could be a week or two before we hear again and there may be follow-up investigations. Mum has taken it all incredibly well and it seems to us anyway that she's somehow relived to have got everything out in the open. She's exhausted today and it hasn't helped that she's had people coming and going without much explanation (which was beyond my control)

It's taken over 2 years to get her to this stage i.e. accepting that Memory Clinic was a good idea! If anyone is reading this and still debating whether they need to make an appointment, or what difference it will make, all I can say is that it has already for us! It's not just that mum has finally 'done something' to confront her problems when she'd convinced herself that there was nothings he could do; it's also made a massive difference to those closest to her, because fingers crossed, we'll have a name for what we're fighting and just as importantly, silly as it may seem, we have validation. We know there is a problem, regardless of what other people who don't see mum that often may think and that it isn't all in our heads! We also know that we're on the right track. The lady who did the assessment said she had absolutely no idea how we had managed up until now and to hear someone say they understood and believed that we're working our socks off and pulling out all the stops to enable mum to stay at home and keep her safe and as happy as possible was just amazing after everything we've been through as a family.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for anyone seeking a diagnosis. I hope they realise how much their courage is appreciated by their loved ones :)
Just wanted to say that our local memory clinic has been wonderful during my journey with my OH’s Alzheimer’s. Their support has been my lifeline and they also run a Carers group weekly which consists of Carers going through all different types of dementia with their loved ones at all different stages of this terrible illness. They have also recently appointed one of the CHESS team to help the Carer when the PWD goes into care. I can’t praise them enough and have met other Carers who have become friends, in fact we’ve just booked our 4th afternoon tea outing, with a little alcohol as an added bonus

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That's fantastic news @Mousehill - I know that in our case it was actually a relief for both myself and my late husband to have a diagnosis. A relief for him, because he could finally accept that it was an illness and therefore stop thinking of himself as 'stupid' - and for me because at last I knew what he was struggling with and I could start educating myself in order to make things as easy and enjoyable as possible for us as a family going forward.

@Old Flopsy - good luck for Thursday, I'll be thinking of you.