Memory Clinic. diagnosis and banks

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Hi all, my mum has an appointment at a memory clinic in a few weeks. At the moment we've not told her banks that she's lost capacity though she hasn't used bank cards for many months.

Does anyone know if the memory clinic will give us a diagnosis on the day?, at the point of diagnosis, should I then inform the banks? I have an LPA in place.

Many thanks. Steve

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Massively complicated one Steve, without a Power of Attorney for Legal and Financial issues or/and one for health and welfare you would potentially have problems, you don't say which you have.
Testing is on a good day not an exact science, dementia is a whole spectrum of different conditions from Alzheimer's to a whole load of other conditions, some people feel the exact diagnosis matter, same team different jerseys, medication is just a placebo in my view.
For me a legal and financial LPA matters most, but only because where as next of kin still has certain helps with health and welfare where an LPoA helps but the next of kin usually is invited to assist on decisions. K

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Thanks Kevini, I have an LPA for both health and finance. Interesting, do you think they'll do a brain scan or is that at another stage?

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
I doubt you will get the diagnosis on the day. People are usually assessed by a nurse practitioner and then the results are discussed with a doctor afterwards - that has been my experience of memory clinic. As far as the bank is concerned, as long as you have financial POA, I would let them know as soon as possible what the situation is. I phoned Mum's bank and spoke to a very helpful (yes - really!) dedicated dementia trained operative. They can give several options for your Mum's financial management.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You can get an MRI scan but the results are open to interpretation, and all the stages thing drives me msd.
Just for the record I post on here as a now former carer who had a wife with early onset, mixed, atypical Alzheimer's, something over 10 years now, been too long. K

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
I think the brain scan very much depends on your local health authority - they don't do them as routine in mine. May also depend on the age of the patient - younger ones or early onset more likely to get a scan I would have thought. My humble opinion is that they are of limited use - they will not change anything,

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont think you need a diagnosis to lodge your lpa. if your mum hasnt the capacity, someone needs to take over. memory clinic did the test for my husband and then had to discuss it with the consultant. may need scan to find out which dementia it is as some can have meds and some cant.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Bottom line is no sort of a scan is a definition of loss of capacity. If a suitably qualified medical practitioner says so, then that's enough, clinics can do it too, but only when someone their qualified to do so.
It isn't an exact science. K

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
doesn't th GP have to write a statement to say that she has lost capacity before the LPA kick in??
When you set up the LPA, there are 2 options - ‘act with the permission of the donor’ or ‘only act if capacity is lost’. The online version suggests you need to think carefully as the second option can be too limited. I have just done mine (and am a POA for my Uncle and Mum). All of them are the former. The old style EPAs require lost capacity but LPAs don’t unless specified.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I used my LPA for my mums finances well before she lacked capacity and managed all of her finances. The only time I have to prove she no longer had capacity was when I sold her house. Her GP provided me with a letter to that effect.

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Interesting, if they don't give me a letter at the memory clinic then, it sounds like I could approach her doctor for one.
Thanks!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Well the GP can’t give you a letter without a diagnosis. Im just wondering why you need this proof. Does the LPA for finance state that you can only act once she lacks mental capacity? A diagnosis is not the same thing, my mum was diagnosed a few years before she lacked capacity.