memory clinic appointment

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Good Morning everyone . So I finally was able to get my husband to the doctors and then to the memory clinic. He then had a CT scan which 3/4 through he told them to stop. We have now received a follow-up appointment for December which he is refusing to attend as he says there is nothing wrong with him. When he kicks his heels in he is very stubborn. He keeps asking me to cancel the appointment and is very determined . Any advice would be very much appreciated. thank you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Shem56, I had the same problem with my mother. Going for the scan was fine, but she refused point blank to go to the memory clinic. She too thought she was fine, and was telling everyone that I had dementia because I was thinking she had problems.
You could say he needs to go the appointment to prove to them he is fine, but deep down he probably knows something is amiss. My mother once put a great effort into being charming to an Occupational Therapist who came to visit her at home. Both the OT and I could see that mum's answers weren't quite right but after she'd gone mum said @i think I've done enough to get them off my back.'
In the end mum had a meltdown in the doctor's surgery and they arranged a psychiatrist to go and see her at home where he diagnosed vascular dementia. That isn't very helpful to you at the moment I know. In the meantime I'd keep notes of concerns so that if you do manage to get your husband to an appointment you'll be able to explain why you are worried. I'd also make sure that things like Lasting Power of Attorney and wills are in place.
I'm sure others will be along soon with their tips and suggestions.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My GP challenged my husband to prove to me that I was wrong about his having problems. He also used to say that I was the one with dementia. We have known our GP for years and I was able to have a chat with him about my concerns and we worked out this might work.

It did and we got him to the memory clinic. Worth a try.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
My GP challenged my husband to prove to me that I was wrong about his having problems. He also used to say that I was the one with dementia. We have known our GP for years and I was able to have a chat with him about my concerns and we worked out this might work.

It did and we got him to the memory clinic. Worth a try.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Hi @Shem56, I had the same problem with my mother. Going for the scan was fine, but she refused point blank to go to the memory clinic. She too thought she was fine, and was telling everyone that I had dementia because I was thinking she had problems.
You could say he needs to go the appointment to prove to them he is fine, but deep down he probably knows something is amiss. My mother once put a great effort into being charming to an Occupational Therapist who came to visit her at home. Both the OT and I could see that mum's answers weren't quite right but after she'd gone mum said @i think I've done enough to get them off my back.'
In the end mum had a meltdown in the doctor's surgery and they arranged a psychiatrist to go and see her at home where he diagnosed vascular dementia. That isn't very helpful to you at the moment I know. In the meantime I'd keep notes of concerns so that if you do manage to get your husband to an appointment you'll be able to explain why you are worried. I'd also make sure that things like Lasting Power of Attorney and wills are in place.
I'm sure others will be along soon with their tips and suggestions.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Latest update on my husband. Managed to get him for his appointment at the Memory Clinic this week. He is to have another CT scan and then another appointment with the doctor at the clinic for formal diagnosis . The doctor says he has moderate to severe memory loss and that he thinks my husband has Lewy Body dementia . Any advice from anyone dealing with this form of dementia would be appreciated.