Memory books i'm giving a talk

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
On friday the 29th July I am giving a talk in the evening on Memory Books, how to make them and how to use them to help the cared for and the carer.
This will be my 'Don't curse the darkness - light a candle evening'
If anyone has anything they would like me to mention please let me know and also your thoughts on this
I found a website today where you can make a free online memory book
I'm going to have a go at making one and will keep you posted
its called forgetmenotbook.com its been started by a guy who has a grandFIL with dementia and a mother in residential care
Just thought I'd let you know about it:)

Attachments

• dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 663

cottonandy

Jun 24, 2011
Towcester
Memory books talk

Hi, I'm new to dementia care and would be really interested in your talk on memory books - is it open to all?

Ps tried to reply to this thread earlier but don't think I did it correctly. Apologies if I've done twice.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Sarah. I know you know I made a memory book gor mum - vey hastily put together. Maybe I could let you have a look and you could give me some pointers!!

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah , Have been thinking would be GOOD to do a M Book with Dad ( he has Mild / Moderate Dementia / Will try the Web Link you put up . Thank you for sharing this with us Sarah

GOOD LUCK on your Talk sounds Fab to me ! !

Want to send you P M & your BOX IS FULL UP :( ( you must be Famous :D Sarah ) , please empty some P M s ! Thank you

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sarah

Thanks for the link, I shall look at the website, but tomorrow.... getting late...

I would like to make a Memory Book for my husband, but haven't a clue how to go about it.

Good luck with your talk, wish I lived near enough to attend, but rather a long way from Scotland!

I love your 'light a candle' picture.

Loo xxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning Sarah , Please empty some of your P M 's cos your Box is full up LOL !

want to send P M to you Thanks

Love Grove x x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I made one online for John, Sarah. I had to upload photos to fit the gaps on the pages they had made, and add a caption for each. I could do it a bit at a time, and when I was satisfied I sent it and they produced a lovely hardback album.

The only thing I didn't like was that they had put titles on each page, and you couldn't change them. The titles did not always fit the photos I wanted to put in. Also, you couldn't change the size or shape of the photo 'holes', you had to make the photo fit the 'hole' -- not always easy with old photos.

The book is lovely though. I left it in John's room at the home for the staff to look at with him, and now it's a lovely memory for me.

Not as good as making one myself, but I'm just not creative. I wish I'd had you to reach me!

Love,

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Loopiloo your right it is a long way I've been to Bishop Briggs and glagow some years ago
It rained a lot!

I will make a guide to making memory books for my talk and will post it on here too
Love Sarah

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Loopiloo your right it is a long way I've been to Bishop Briggs and glagow some years ago
It rained a lot!

I will make a guide to making memory books for my talk and will post it on here too
Love Sarah

Hmmm, yes, rain.... that area does often get more than others.

That would be great, Sarah, posting a guide to making memory books. Look forward to that when you have the time.

Love
Loo xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah , Have been thinking for some time it would be good to make a M Book with Dad ( before its to late , he has mild / moderate Dementia would like to do it before he gets to :confused: etc )

Will look forward to reading " Your Handy Tips " when you put it on T P :)

Hope you have had a lovely Day & you are ok

Love Grove x x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Today i am going to concentrate on doing 2 boards to demonstrate Memory Books

Yesterday I went to buy some mount board to put all the info on and "little friend Margaret who lives on the boat" took me to get it.
When I got there I was getting some card for making the cards and looked at the mount board from my kneeling down position as I selected it and noticed some of them were damaged
Cheeky as ever:) I commented on this to one of the assisitants and she said that 10 mins earlier her sleeve had caught on the fitting and she spilt a bit of her coffee:eek:
I got the ones I wanted for half price:D:D:D and I can use the reverse side and no one will be any the wiser! (well except for us!);)
Margaret said "Someone up there really looks after you, doesn't he!":D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sarah

Your girl after my own heart - always up for a bargain.

Will you be able to video your talk and upload it to Youtube or something? I'm not technically minded at all so wouldn't know where to start but it would be lovely to see or hear.

Best wishes
Sue

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Today I am beavering away making a memory book about me

Well it did seem appropriate:D

Lots of paper photos glue etc all over the breakfast room

will take some photos of the pages later to see what comments you have to make!

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Good luck for Friday hope it goes well I want to make a memory book for mum so I await your instructionsblove larivy