Medication

Luckydog01

May 2, 2023
Hi,hubby has recently been diagnosed with alz/fronto temporal dem.(although he has been showing signs for last 5-6 years) The doctor that diagnosed him at local hospital dem clinic advised he will get medication MEMANTINE .does anyone have any dealings with this drug? Also any advice on how long it should be before he is prescribed them(appointment was 4 weeks ago) thanks in advance

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @Luckydog01 and welcome to the forum which is a friendly and supportive place with lots of shared experience. I haven't had any personal dealings with memantine as my mum hasn't been prescribed it but I know that quite a few members here do have experience of this medication so will hopefully be along with some info for you soon, although bear in mind that effects from medication may vary from person to person. Four weeks does seem quite a long time to wait for a prescription so it might be an idea to give the dementia clinic or your hubby's GP a call to chase this up as it could help to speed things up.

Luckydog01

May 2, 2023
Hi @Luckydog01 and welcome to the forum which is a friendly and supportive place with lots of shared experience. I haven't had any personal dealings with memantine as my mum hasn't been prescribed it but I know that quite a few members here do have experience of this medication so will hopefully be along with some info for you soon, although bear in mind that effects from medication may vary from person to person. Four weeks does seem quite a long time to wait for a prescription so it might be an idea to give the dementia clinic or your hubby's GP a call to chase this up as it could help to speed things up.
Thanks for replying, I will give them till the end of the week then chase them up.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has been taking it for 18months. he has vascular dementia and was getting aggressive. memantine has evened him out and is a lot better. he went up in 5mg per week to maximum of 20mg. he has the odd time but is generally happier, more content and very pleasant most of the time. i would ask the gp surgery about it today as the letter asking them to prescribe it might have got lost in the system and they dont know they need to prescribe it. with another bank holiday, i would ask sooner rather than later.

Luckydog01

May 2, 2023
my husband has been taking it for 18months. he has vascular dementia and was getting aggressive. memantine has evened him out and is a lot better. he went up in 5mg per week to maximum of 20mg. he has the odd time but is generally happier, more content and very pleasant most of the time. i would ask the gp surgery about it today as the letter asking them to prescribe it might have got lost in the system and they dont know they need to prescribe it. with another bank holiday, i would ask sooner rather than later.
Thank you so much for your reply.It is comforting to know that it may alleviate some of the aggressiveness, that is the hardest thing to handle at the moment. I will definitely get in touch with the docs tomorrow. Thank you again for your help and advice.