Medication

Debs2018

Apr 18, 2018
Hi there

My mum has just been diagnosed with mixed dementia which has come as a huge shock, she has never really taken medication but when she has, she has had many side effects if has in the past, she has been put on memantine and seems very spaced out.. and wondering if better to fight this without it or should she persist? Any good or bad experiences with this drug would help thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Welcome to TP @Debs2018.
It is worth trying to persist with this medication as it's one of the few that can help slow down the progression of Alzheimer's. However, I would discuss the side effect with the GP in case it may cause safety issues like a risk of falls.
When my wife was put on that drug she was started on a low dose that was built up gradually over a number of weeks to the full 20mg. Was this done in your mum's case?

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
My dad seems very sensitive to most drugs but memantine seemed to help dad with no side effects but that’s not to say it’s not affecting your mum as everyone reacts differently. I would definitely mention it to the prescribing dr x

Debs2018

Apr 18, 2018
Welcome to TP @Debs2018.
It is worth trying to persist with this medication as it's one of the few that can help slow down the progression of Alzheimer's. However, I would discuss the side effect with the GP in case it may cause safety issues like a risk of falls.
When my wife was put on that drug she was started on a low dose that was built up gradually over a number of weeks to the full 20mg. Was this done in your mum's case?
Welcome to TP @Debs2018.

Thank you for your reply sorry for the late response, yes she started on 5g 1 week then 10 then 15 then to 20g, I have spoken to doctors they have dropped back to 10 for a few weeks to see how she gets on thanks again for response

Debs2018

Apr 18, 2018
My dad seems very sensitive to most drugs but memantine seemed to help dad with no side effects but that’s not to say it’s not affecting your mum as everyone reacts differently. I would definitely mention it to the prescribing dr x

Thanks for your response and sorry for late reply I have since spoken to the doctor who had dropped medication back down to 10g from 20. My mum had never really took medication until last 3 years but nothing really suits her. Since starting this drug I can see a declin but hard to say if the drug or this awful disease thanks for the info x

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Thanks for your response and sorry for late reply I have since spoken to the doctor who had dropped medication back down to 10g from 20. My mum had never really took medication until last 3 years but nothing really suits her. Since starting this drug I can see a declin but hard to say if the drug or this awful disease thanks for the info x
Hopefully the change in dose will agree with your mum and things will improve. Watching the visible decline is so hard and for my dad and by far his worse symptom was aggression. He has been very sensitive to the antipsychotic meds used to control it and has rapidly declined since starting them. Best wishes to you and your mum x

Debs2018

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for the response I'm sorry to hear about your dad we have stopped dosage but still not agreeing with mum x