Meals delivered

Cinnamon009

Feb 12, 2022
I think we are at the point where I need to organise some hot delivered meals for my parents but no idea where to find them. My mum has always done the cooking, Dad can put together sandwiches but has never cooked a hot meal in his life. As mum's alzheimers gets worse it isn't just leaving stuff in the oven but being confused about heating up different meal elements. I do their shopping and Dad hates most ready meals but there are a couple he will eat. Up to know they have managed with a mix of ready meals, fresh soups and pre-prepared oven ready meats with microwaveable veg and mash (sainsbury do some pre prepared lamb shanks/chicken crown/pork ribs) you just warm through I've noticed that mum is getting too bad to sort out these out. I've tried so many frozen and fresh ready meals but Dad is so belligerent and nasty about them it's like he doesn't want to accept that mum is not well enough to cook for him every day like before.
So this weekend I started to look for a meals on wheels service but couldn't find prices etc or how to get the service started and reviews etc. I need to take the pressure off mum while feeding Dad to his usual standard.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@Cinnamon009 Welcome to Talking Point. Would your parents consider carers coming in a couple of times a day to prepare some home cooked meals.
Alternatively there are companies such a Wiltshire Foods but if your dad does not like ready meals he might not like what they have on offer.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi, if you contact your local council‘s adult social care department they should be able to signpost you to anything available in the area. It does depend where you are. Parsley box are another company that do ready meals that can be kept in the cupboar. They’re surprisingly tasty.

Jayne1962

Nov 28, 2021
I think we are at the point where I need to organise some hot delivered meals for my parents but no idea where to find them. My mum has always done the cooking, Dad can put together sandwiches but has never cooked a hot meal in his life. As mum's alzheimers gets worse it isn't just leaving stuff in the oven but being confused about heating up different meal elements. I do their shopping and Dad hates most ready meals but there are a couple he will eat. Up to know they have managed with a mix of ready meals, fresh soups and pre-prepared oven ready meats with microwaveable veg and mash (sainsbury do some pre prepared lamb shanks/chicken crown/pork ribs) you just warm through I've noticed that mum is getting too bad to sort out these out. I've tried so many frozen and fresh ready meals but Dad is so belligerent and nasty about them it's like he doesn't want to accept that mum is not well enough to cook for him every day like before.
So this weekend I started to look for a meals on wheels service but couldn't find prices etc or how to get the service started and reviews etc. I need to take the pressure off mum while feeding Dad to his usual standard.
Which area are you in ? There’s a local company by me who deliver meals hot and desserts if needed for only £5-50 a day -I found them by Google-entering meals on wheels near me ?

Cinnamon009

Feb 12, 2022
Which area are you in ? There’s a local company by me who deliver meals hot and desserts if needed for only £5-50 a day -I found them by Google-entering meals on wheels near me ?
Mum is in South Yorkshire. I tried Google but the ones that came up didn't have websites where you could order etc. Will try adult services. Thanks.