Me and my grandad

OrangeE

Apr 1, 2010
Hi, I’m new to this site but glad I found it. I don’t really know where to start with anything. My grandad is in a later stage of Altzheimer’s. Until 2 months ago he lived with my nan who was and still is his carer and his soul mate. He’s now in temporary respite and two weeks ago we were told that he can’t come home and has to go into full-time care. I don’t think any of this really sunk in until today when me and my nan went to see my grandad. I felt really guilty. I’ve always tried to help out as much as I can living 40 miles away and also working, and I see my nan and grandad at least once a week but just wish I could do more to help ease the pain that my nan is feeling and to reassure my grandad that everything is ok. He got so upset today and I hate to see him like that. I know that I should be grateful. I love my grandad to pieces and although he doesn’t recognise me by name or the fact that I’m related to him anymore, the big beaming smile and wave I get when I go to visit him and when I get to hear his laugh again makes it all worth while. I do feel sometimes like the grandad who taught me how to swim and taught me how to ride my bike and read has been buried away somewhere and wonder if I’ll see him again and that makes me sad but I know I’ll never stop loving my grandad. I’m finding everything quite tough at the moment, but I know that there are others who are worse off than myself. I find strength in my nan and her devotion to my grandad and hope that one day I can find someone like she has and be half the person she is.

JayGee

Aug 23, 2009
kilmarnock ayrshire
Hi Orange
Your grandad is very lucky having such a loving grand daughter.
Your Nan must really appreciate your love and support
keep your chin up
June

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hiya Orange, reading your post was wonderful and what a loving grandaughter you are. I have eight grandchildren and one great grandchilren and since i was diagnosed with Alzheimers one of my biggest fears has been and still is, is forgetting the fantastic times ive had with them, teaching them things and watching them grow up, well some of them anyway, some are still young thankfully""LOL.
But the thing to remember is you DID have those times with him and even though your grandad might forget some of those times as i might, you never will and what a wonderful present he had given you in that. Continue to love your grandad as you are doing, i`m sure deep down, somewhere he still knows you, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
hi orange. I'm sally and i help care for my grandad who has early/moderate alzheimers. I'm truly thankful that he is still largely ok and we can still enjoy each others company. I feel blessed to be given this chance to get to know him better and play a useful role in his life. I just dread the day when he doesn't recognise me. I have 2 young children and i have always said that the length of time i can be so involved in grandad's care will always depend on them. They adore him, and he them. They all get so much enjoyment from time spent together at the moment. Who knows what will happen in the future. All i can really say is your grandparents are so lucky to have you as their grand-daughter. Just keep doing what you're doing and know how much they love you and appreciate your support. I don't come across that many "grandchildren" who are so involved. If ever you want to PM me, feel free. Sending you (((hugs))). Love sal x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Orange

All I can say is how lucky you are to have had such a wonderful relationship with your grandad, it sounds like my relatinshiop with my dad (my grandad died when I was 9 months old). My dad taught me to swim and to ride a bike. You don't forget those things do you? I bet that somewhere underneath your grandad remembers too, even though you don't think he remembers you now.

Of course you'll see him again, and you'll remember all those good times. Do you have any photos of him helping you ride your bike or swim? If not, write him a story about how it was for you, and read it out to him.

You sound like a lovely grandaughter, just like my girls were to my dad and my mum. A gem. And your gran will be so reassured by your support, even though you can't be there all the time.

Just do your best. Ring your nan, tell her your gossip, take her mind off things, and visit your grandad remembering those lovely memories of him.

Much love

Margaret

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp