Maggie Thatcher has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Despite everyones varying political views I sincerely hope that Alzheimers and Dementia will get good coverage in the next few days and that the profile of sufferers and carers will raised

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
RIP Maggie Thatcher

You may not have liked her politics but you had to respect her.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm disappointed that BBC has repeatedly referred to her 'frail health', without one mention of dementia.

Of course the family have the right to decide on the announcement, but it's such a pity, especially as her dementia was common knowledge.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Both Sarah and bemused1 started threads on this topic at the same time, so I've merged them to avoid duplication.

I've also moved the thread to 'Raising Awareness and campaigning', as that's a more appropriate home for it.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Thank you Katherine and Sarah for highlighting these posts, regardless of what this lady done as a job, she was frail and had dementia, she was also a wife and mum, our hearts must go out for the battle she had, and may she now be at peace and with her beloved Denis.
Chris x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Listening to BBC news on tele. So far not one mention of dementia. Frail and illness only words used so far.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm not sure why she is getting a funeral along the lines of 'The Queen Mothers and Princess Diana's'......

Last edited by a moderator:

britlec

Jan 17, 2013
Italy
Everyone is born equal (they say)- but not everyone dies equal. She was lucky - to live the last stages of her dementia in comfort at the Ritz, and to die of an ictus. BAM!WHAM! that's the way to go... I pray for a similar quick end to my father's suffering.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
This must be the way forward for Dementia sufferes, check into a top hotel and the goverment will pick up the bill! i will go for the Lanesdown, only £15000 per night.....
John.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I am not a supporter of Ed Miliband or the Labour party
But I respect the right of everyone to have an opinion
The following statement by the Leader of the Labour Party was said with dignity
Jimbo 111

Ed Miliband MP, Leader of the Opposition, said: "I send my deep condolences to Lady Thatcher's family, in particular Mark and Carol Thatcher.

"She will be remembered as a unique figure. She reshaped the politics of a whole generation. She was Britain's first woman Prime Minister. She moved the centre ground of British politics and was a huge figure on the world stage.

"The Labour Party disagreed with much of what she did and she will always remain a controversial figure. But we can disagree and also greatly respect her political achievements and her personal strength.

"She coped with her final, difficult years with dignity and courage. Critics and supporters will remember her in her prime."

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Lewis B. Smedes - Forgive & Forget: Healing the Hurts We Don't Deserve

"Forgiveness is God's invention for coming to terms with a world in which, despite their best intentions, people are unfair to each other and hurt each other deeply. He began by forgiving us. And he invites us all to forgive each other."

Last edited by a moderator:

Moderators

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 11, 2010
Hello everyone,

Some members may have noticed that this thread was temporarily closed last night. This action was taken to halt posting to the discussion, given the sensitivity of the discussion topic.

The vast majority of posts made to this discussion have been constructive and the topic (whether the death of Margaret Thatcher would raise awareness of dementia) has been of interest to a number of members. We have decided to reopen the thread so that the discussion can continue. We’d ask all members to please bear the sensitivity of the discussion topic in mind before posting and, as always, to ensure that you post within the rules of this forum which can be viewed here, and in particular

3.2 Messages must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, inflammatory, vulgar, sexually orientated, racial, political, hateful, threatening, in violation of any laws or good morals and practice or personally abusive. You hereby undertake to indemnify and hold harmless Alzheimer's Society against all costs and expenses from any such actions by you.

We will be keeping an eye on the discussion and I'm afraid if unhelpful or inappropriate posts are made, it may be necessary to close the discussion.

Thank you

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Why it is that in the TV News and Press that upon the demise of Lady Thatcher after having a stroke they mention nothing about the fact that she had Alzheimer’s! Yet in the film about her life called (The Iron Lady) it’s made quite obvious of her dementia!

If only well know people such as Lady Thatcher and many other well known people would come forward (or had come forward) and spoken out and admitted to having some type of dementia it would help to raise so much awareness of the illness and maybe help dispel some of the stigma that so many people still associate with dementia, it would also show that dementia has no preferences and can have an effect on the most cleverest, strong willed, the wealthiest, the most artistic, politicians and people such as you and me as its victims...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've just started looking at some of the coverage in the a Times digital edition. I see that one of the articles says that she had dementia. It's a pity the family hasn't asked for donations to an Alzheimer's charity but they're going to the Chelsea Hospital. She had close links with that hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sujokealma