LPA advice please

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hello,

My sisters & I are looking into setting up an LPA for Dad.*
Based on experience, is it better to approach GP or Consultant to be certificate provider for LPA? Both are aware of the family situation, and support we have all given.
The Consultant has always been supportive of us as a family, and considerate to my Dad as a person.

* I know we should have done this months ago, but events have just piled up, leaving not a lot of time for this sort of thing.

Appreciate any advice,

sleepless

DylanR

Aug 2, 2010
LLandeilo
Get it done it will be a nightmare for you if you get to the point where they dont have capacity.

We used mums GP and it went fine, no need to go to a consultant because they are a consultant.

GP should be satisfactory :)

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi sleepless

We used a long-term family friend as Certificate Provider, who was well aware of the situation and who was also aware that my mother had always intended us to have power of attorney and had actually signed an EPA long ago. We were advised that an LPA would be better so went down this route. I filled in the forms myself and sent everything off to be registered. We had no problems and the POA was registered fairly quickly.

good luck.

R

janice1

Sep 22, 2009
up north
Lpa

Hi your GP, is the best person to ask to sign the LPA form. Mums Docter was very helpful. The only problem we encountered was the lenth of time it took the Office of Public Guardian to register the application. We submitted the forms at the begining of feb this year, and it took till end of july for the application to be registered. So its better to apply sooner rather than later. Good Luck Janice

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I don't think it matters, although your mum's GP being much more familiar with her as a patient might be regarded as being best able to judge her capacity.

The main thing though is to get the LPA done as fast as possible - if your mum loses capacity then you'll have to go through the court of protection, which is much more difficult, time consuming and expensive.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
We used a solicitor to sign my parents LPAs, but would have used a family friend if we'd done the forms ourselves. They just have to be sure that the person is not being coerced and understands what the document is about.