Lovely Ways to Remember

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
After reading some of the threads in this sub-forum, especially one about remembering one's Mother in the garden that she loved ('Christmas came & went' by @patilo 33) - thank you so much), I thought of a way to cope with the pain of my Mum's loss, by trying to see new blooms through Mum's eyes and being briefly united with her in thought and in love.

I was talking to my elder sister, who asked me what Mum liked in the flower line, and I remembered that Mum particularly loved the combination of yellows and blues - e.g. delphiniums and yellow snapdragons, cornflowers and Welsh poppies. So my sister and I are each going to plant up a pot of bedding in yellow and blue as a way of honouring Mum's memory and hopefully helping us to feel a bit better.

It would be lovely if people on TP could remember what their loved ones liked and share with us special ways they have of remembering their lost beloved relations, friends or consorts.

This thread would then be a general 'in memoriam' to those we have loved and lost.

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any replies. xx
When we made the arrangements for our father's funeral, mum said there was nothing nicer than red and yellow. So when we made the arrangements for our mother's funeral we made sure of the same arrangements. Here garden has several established rose bushes some quite old. After she died I decided to fill her long bed with an array of daffodils. Already she has one daf in bloom with 3 budding and many many more on the way. very soon I look forward to an outbreak of yellow horns yes for her. It is now my great pleasure to visit them several times a day and enjoy them just as I know she would have and would want to.
On special occasions such as her birthday, I always take both mum and dad red and yellow flowers. I always mark the occasion with the best of both colours because it is also the day my parents got married.
I think flowers are the best possible way to remember our loved ones.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
love, dad but [/QUOTE]
Dad.. faith always very important to them both....his Latin mass DVD always reminds me of him and the Gregorian Chant music cds he did for me...so peaceful and restful
[/QUOTE]

When my wife died many people used to say " she was a lovely lady
'Lovely Lady 'is the name of a lovely pink rose and I bought several of the plants for myself ,my sons , and her carers
Since then I know that several members of TP also bought a plant
I love the thought that every year starting in late spring and until November
The beauty of My 'Lovely Lady ' is appreciated in so many parts
of the country and I like to think that my Own.' Lovely Lady'' is also remembered

The quote above about Gregorian Chants brought back one of the most vivid memories of my life
On holiday high up in the mountains in Majorca the coach stopped and just below us ,nestled in a grove was an Abbey
The most wonderful sound of a choir singing a Gregorian Chant could be heard from where we stood
For some unknown reason most of the coach wanted to press on with our travels but my wife andI persisted that we wanted to go down to the Abbey
As we walked down the path and into the church the melody was mesmerising
Inside was a male choir ( men and boys )
I have never before or since heard such a beautiful sound
Even now when, through hearing problems , I cannot stand the sound of music or singing
I can hear and see in my memory that glorious few minutes
Thank you reviving such a wonderful memory
jimbo

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Do you remember Helen [33] She was a
tree hugger too and used to laugh at me because I could only hug clean trees.[/QUOTE

Here I am having a hug

I could never forget Helen and often think about her, but didn't know she was a tree hugger.

I am another tree hugger and recently came across a photo taken by Henry of me hugging a tree in the Scottish Highlands. It is a good feeling. I love trees as did Henry.

But it was nowhere as huge as the one you were hugging jaymor. Is that the one at Osborne House?

Most interesting Sylvia to read about the origin of tree hugging.
Loo xx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire

Yes Loo the tree was at Osborne House. It was on the path down to Victoria’s private beach.

There is also a huge tree in the grounds, hollowed out it would make a small house. One of my friends hugged that one. We found it so funny because it was so large her arms were just straight out and she looked as if she had been stuck to the tree.

Last edited: