Louis Therouxs Dementia Documentary Thurs PM, preview clip

Chemmy

I watched it last night and although it didn't show many of the more unpleasant aspects faced by carers, I felt it gave a considered and sympathetic overview for a general audience.

It covered a lot of stages of dementia - from Suelinda to the old lady on the fourth floor who kept saying "Golly" - and I recognised much of what my mother went through. I would have found it very useful right at the beginning of my mother's condition as they really got across the sheer bewilderment Suelinda was experiencing, trying to work the cellphone and draw the clock.

The other thing I found interesting was seeing how Louis relaxed in their company the more he got to know them. He seemed a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights when he first went into the CH but you could see how he ended up just going with the flow.

And thirdly, it's made me appreciate that however hard it is to go through this with a parent, it must be ten times harder when it's your spouse. The lady at the end said moving her mum to the CH has allowed her to reestablish the mother-daughter relationship, whereas husbands and wives never have that opportunity.

Showing this to trainee nurses and social workers wouldn't do any harm.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
sub titles

If you can log onto BBC iplayer - it is available to watch on there :)

Thank you but as I struggle with my hearing I find it so hard to hear on the laptop. Does any one know whether you can get subtitles on the iplayers?

I would love to see this as I completely forgot to record it. x

Sue J

Thank you but as I struggle with my hearing I find it so hard to hear on the laptop. Does any one know whether you can get subtitles on the iplayers?

I would love to see this as I completely forgot to record it. x

I get subtitles on my iplayer but not for all programmes I think this one was though.

Bodensee

Account Closed
I watched this programme, it was very sad but compelling viewing. I noticed in the background some residents were not awake, this reminded me of my friends son who was in a nursing home and dying of vCJD, he was sedated and looked very calm, at peace with the world. I also noticed that not every AD patient is helpless and sectioned, what an amazing place this was. I did feel for the lady aged 49, I wonder what her final diagnosis was.

sussexsue

I have only just watched it (mum was VERY poorly last week, my emotions all over the place, but some improvement from her and I decided to watch it this morning).

As ever Louis brings out the human side of things. Not just people with an illness, but real people with feelings, lives and families. It showed the side of dementia that I suspect most people are unaware of until they have encountered it.

Like others have said though, I do wonder how many people who have not experienced living with dementia will have watched it, and indeed how they would have reacted to it.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
sub titles

Hello Julia, Thank you for your link and for your PM which as you may have seen I have already answered.

It worked indeed and as I told you earlier you have opened a whole new world up for me as I had failed to find the "s" previously. How easy indeed when you know how.

I have seen the film and very much "enjoyed" the gentle take on dementia. I felt uneasy though that they discussed the sufferers so openly with them in the room, which is something I could not do. It would cause my husband distress and one never knows just how much and how little sticks with them.

I just loved Nancy and her husband what an amazing couple and felt devastatingly (if this a word) sorry for the little girl and her mother. That must be so hard for every one.

I will now be able to look up the Panorama programme shown earlier in the week too. Thank you again x

Chemmy

I felt uneasy though that they discussed the sufferers so openly with them in the room, which is something I could not do. It would cause my husband distress and one never knows just how much and how little sticks with them.

I agree, Winnie, but isn't it strange how medical staff and social workers seem to expect you to discuss things frankly with them when their 'client', who apparently has rights to hear what is being said, is sitting there too. That always struck me as really uncomforable for all concerned.

piedwarbler

I agree, I have been horrified on occasion when mental health professionals have talked openly and without warning about Mum's deterioration in front of them.

It should be part of their training to be more sensitive.

Even though Mum did not appear to take notice, I wonder if on some level there was some alarm in her mind about what was being said. I hope not.

Goingitalone

I agree, I have been horrified on occasion when mental health professionals have talked openly and without warning about Mum's deterioration in front of them.

Even though Mum did not appear to take notice, I wonder if on some level there was some alarm in her mind about what was being said. I hope not.

Yes, that was the only negative thing I have to say about the wonderful social worker we had.
After his visit where we discussed Mum's admission to a care home, my poor Mum seemed really frightened and kept waking up and calling for myself or my brother. It was devastating. I'm sure she realised things were being arranged for her and she was terrified.
I think that care homes in the past were more like the workhouse and I know Mum had a real fear of being 'put away' as she so succinctly put it. It took several months for me to feel that I hadn't sold her down the river, so to speak.

Even now, I still get moments of panic and a strong desire to go and scoop her up and bring her home.

She's happy and settled where she is now and her health is stable. I'm not sure she'd have been so well if we'd tried to keep her at home any longer. :(

Jancis

When we attended Best Interest Meetings with the so-called professionals my uncle was always invited to attend. On most occasions he did. We all sat round in a circle - there were never less than 10 people in the room. It was awful discussing his illness and his prospects in front of him. He couldn't follow the discussion at all and it was pathetic to hear his replies when he was asked specific questions about his welfare. Thank god those days are over and his best interests are no longer an issue. That episode was one of the worst in my life. If uncle could write on here about that time I'm sure he would say it was the worst period in his life. I blame the mental health act for it's rigidity and lack of consideration of individual human beings. Still makes me shudder to think back.