lost

Tom T.

Jan 19, 2024
Looks like i may have to put my beautiful wife in a nursing home. breaks my heart, but im worn out from 24 hr care. she progressed rapidly in the last few weeks. I'm at wits end. any advice.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Oh Blimey Tom T don’t do that! Care home is not the end of it all, there might be some love between you yet to salvage from this cruel situation once she is getting the care she needs. Do look after yourself and talk to your family and friends about it, sending love ❤️

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Tom T. and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. You are going through a hard time but once your wife gets settled in a home you will see how it benefits you both. It is not such a bad option after the exhaustion of 24 hour caring. Look around here and you'll find that this is not just my opinion and experience (my wife has been in a care home since 2019).

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
Hello @Tom T. I’m so sorry you’re struggling so much at the moment. Could you get your wife into respite care to give you a breathing space.
It’s impossible to think straight when you’re worn out. If you look on the NHS website you can enter your postcode and get an emergency number. I’ll try to post a link.
Please ask for help, it’s available but not always easy to know where to go.
Sending you good wishes
Dawn