losing ones sences

nickie

Aug 27, 2013
northumberland
Hi my mam was diagnosed with demenia 3 years ago, i have noticed lately that she,s losing her sence of taste and smell is this part of the condition or is it something i should be concerned about. All information is well appreciated.

David1

Jan 2, 2012
West Yorkshire
Hi Nickie,

Yes, my Mum - who is in early stages - has poorer taste, but strangely she can still smell flowers that are not strong. It's baffling, but I suppose it is to do with different parts of the brain losing capacity at different rates.

Strength to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

dippydora

Apr 2, 2013
Lalaland
Our Dad has never had a sense of smell, so that has never been an issue! But his tastes have COMPLETELY changed. He was always a savoury man.....cheese, meat, crackers, salt and pepper on everything! Now its biscuits (sweet), sweet tea and coffee (sugar and eveporated milk!), jelly sweets, bbq sauce on everything, marshmallows (he can't get enough of them) and puddings. Fish is also a big thing for him, fresh or tinned tuna/mackeral. He also likes sloppy meals, and puds. Think baby food. Lots of picky food to hand or in fridge. As long as we can give him one nutritious hot meal a day, we let him eat whatever he likes the rest of the day. Happy days! :)

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Sadly it is a part and parcel of it, sense of taste and smell can be affected. It is with mum. Sorry.

Pottypeg

Aug 4, 2013
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
My dad's taste buds changed completely, when he could still talk the staff on his assessment unit said he'd had shepherds pie and it was the best he'd ever had, when they told mum she said it would be, it was the first he'd ever bl***y had! He never liked mince or anything with onion in.:)

nickie

Aug 27, 2013
northumberland
Thank you for the comments, it,s really reasurring that i can now talk to people who know how dementia can affect the person and the carer. A nice shiny light at the end of a very dark tunnel xx.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch