1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.

Losing faith in my nans care home

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by Becs26, May 10, 2018.

1. Becs26

Becs26 Registered User

Jan 26, 2012
    My nan has been in a care home for just over a year, all was fine to start. Over Christmas they lost a lot of residents, then several good members of staff have moved on also. It seems to be going downhill to the point I want to put a spy camera in her room. Lately there have been things that I am unhappy with but Today the worst by far I found her in the worst state literally From her knees to chest soaking in her own urine!
    I wanted to take her home with me but I know I can’t!
    Don’t know what to do! Does any one have a camera on their loved one? Thanks in advance!

2. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

I dont think covert cameras are allowed. If you lack that much faith, maybe you need to think about moving her.

is she self funded ?

3. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Volunteer Host

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I think if it were me, I would talk to management first, and if I was not satisfied, then I would get in touch with CQC. It is a horrible position to be in, because our loved ones are so vulnerable. Are there any other relatives of residents there that you know? Do you think it might have been a one off? Though you do say there have been a number of incidents that you are not happy with.
    Sorry, I am not familiar with your situation, have you discussed this with your parents?

4. mrjelly

mrjelly Registered User

Jul 23, 2012
    West Sussex
  5. Becs26

Becs26 Registered User

Jan 26, 2012
    This Is my mother’s mum and she has nothing to do with my nan so it’s Down to me to decide. I have talked to the manager and have asked for a few changes on her care plan. My concern is that what I am being told is she is becoming ‘difficult’ ‘uncooperative’ ‘refusing personal care’. This is not my nan. She is easily ‘persuaded’ to do things if you approach her in a way she is responsive to. This is what I want to check on.

6. Becs26

Becs26 Registered User

Jan 26, 2012
    i completely agree.