Looking for some sort of personal emergency alarm service

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi

I'm sure this will have been asked before, so many apologies.

My dad is my mam's carer and as he is not always in the best of health himself it's a constant worry for me that he might collapse or be ill and I know my mam wouldn't be able to contact anyone. I know that he's concerned about this himself, too.

I'd like to find him some sort of personal alarm system that he could press to alert someone that he was ill (I know this would only work if he was still capable of pressing it but it's better than nothing at all.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be very grateful, many thanks in anticipation.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
No experience of this in actually using the products, but a home telephone with associated pendant seems to be a nice simple solution. The link below is just a few examples

http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/products.php?groupid=123&sortname

Hopefully others will come on and pass comments from their personal experience of actually using this kind of product.

We also have friends who have subscribed to local City Care services that offer a similar product in the home, where when a pendant is pressed it goes to a 24 hour manned call centre. LA should be able to offer guidance on what is available in your area. Service costs about £6 per week for our friends.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Personal Alarms.................

.......are the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned.

When my mother had a fall last year she pressed hers and she was attended to very quickly. They do give peace of mind.

Most local Authorities have a scheme so would suggest you contact your Mums council offices and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Failing that ring your local Alzeimers Society office and I am sure they could do the same.

Best Wishes

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
our care-line was installed by our local council, installation was about £35 and the weekly cost is £2-75, if we had not already got one they would have also installed the key safe, so always some one can enter the property.

Helen x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions, and for the link, Hollycat. There are some interesting products on there, one of which I'm very interested in, so thank you.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hollycat, something has gone wrong with the link on my computer - would you mind posting it again because I can't find the product I was looking at no matter what I do! It now seems to be saying that I need to subscribe to view the information. Clicking the back button does nothing, and if I start again from your link it takes me to that same message, now. Not sure what I've done to cause this but maybe if you post the link again, and I try going through from the new link, that might work. Many thanks!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
College Girl,

Try going to your cookies and deleting the one from the website in question. It is probably giving you that message because you have been to the website before.

Fiona

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Hollycat, something has gone wrong with the link on my computer - would you mind posting it again because I can't find the product I was looking at no matter what I do! It now seems to be saying that I need to subscribe to view the information. Clicking the back button does nothing, and if I start again from your link it takes me to that same message, now. Not sure what I've done to cause this but maybe if you post the link again, and I try going through from the new link, that might work. Many thanks!

Same here, it wants me to subscribe.......really sorry.

An alternative to save you subscribing is just google

TELEPHONE WITH PENDANT

and this will give you a similar good choice.

Again really sorry

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
No need to be sorry, Holly! Not at all! Please don't think I was cross about it, I was very glad of the help.

The first time I clicked your link it worked perfectly but I didn't have time to study it closely, although one particular product did catch my eye. It was after I went back again that the problems occurred. It's probably something I've done, or like Fiona said, something to do with cookies (if only I knew and understood what cookies are, I could probably do something about it!).

I'll try googling as you suggest, many thanks.