Looking for care home - Derbyshire

Beckyj_115

Jun 25, 2024
We've been advised my Dad is no longer safe living alone and needs to go into a care home, was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2019. Can anyone recommend a good local authority care home in the Derbyshire area?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Beckyj_115.

I'm sorry to read about your dad. I'm afraid the forum rules are that members can't make personal recommendations regarding homes.

This link might help you when you're considering individual homes -

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Beckyj_115 and welcome. Choosing a care home can be a very personal issue as what suits one person may not suit another. I looked at several for my wife, ranging from the flashy, 'luxury' style to others that had more of a domestic feel. What led me to choose the home that she's been in for 5 (mainly) content years was it's size, feel and dedication of the staff. This included the worst cup of coffee but the best explanation of promoting independence and personalised care. Other homes seemed all about impressing the relatives and providing luxury items that my wife would pay for but never use. It is perhaps a little dated but what it lacks in pizzzaz is more than matched by its ethos of putting the residents first. The fact that it accepts the Local Authority rate with no top-up is a distinct advantage.

I found this website helpful in drawing up a shortlist of homes to visit;

Last edited:

Beckyj_115

Jun 25, 2024
Ah ok, that's interesting because I was advised to do this by someone who answered my call to the Alzheimers Society helpline, perhaps you need to inform them as this is the advice they are giving.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ah ok, that's interesting because I was advised to do this by someone who answered my call to the Alzheimers Society helpline, perhaps you need to inform them as this is the advice they are giving.

Thanks for this. I’ll pass it on.