Looking for advice

Mummylittle

Aug 13, 2014
My dad is 92 and has Alzheimer's my mum is 90 and is his carer. They live 2 hour drive from me and I have started to stay 2 or 3 days a week to help them. He can still dress and feed himself, but forgets who we are, referring to his wife as his sister!
Mt concerns are for the future and what we should be planning? Clearly as dad gets worse mum will not be able to cope.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Hello Mummylittle,
welcome to talking point...

We're in a similar situation (elderly parents, one with Alzheimer's the other the main carer).

We started off with the GP, then memory clinic which got a social worker involved and they led us through the process - claiming Attendance Allowance, recommending that we get Lasting Power of Attorney, giving us details of Carer Organisations etc.

We currently have a carer come in for 30 minutes each morning and the plan is to increase this as and when we need to...

Perhaps a few more details about your situation will help others know what level of help to suggest for you...

Elizabeth.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
My dad is 92 and has Alzheimer's my mum is 90 and is his carer. They live 2 hour drive from me and I have started to stay 2 or 3 days a week to help them. He can still dress and feed himself, but forgets who we are, referring to his wife as his sister!
Mt concerns are for the future and what we should be planning? Clearly as dad gets worse mum will not be able to cope.

Hello Welcome to TP
I am sorry to hear about your Dad .
It can be very hard when a loved one forgets who you are , sadly though this can be part of Dementia. If dad gets a little upset or doesn't believe you/ mum if you try to put him right, then the best thing may be to go with the flow and let Dad continue to think that mum is his sister.

As for getting help .
Your Dad is entitled to have an assessment of his needs by (SS) Adult Social services.
Also your mum is entitled to a carers assessment by them
You don't need to be referred to SS you can contact them yourselves . Unless it is urgent they have up to 28 days to reply.
Sadly people here have mixed results with their SW ( social worker) I hope you get a good one.
Personally I found the following charities so helpful and I do suggest you contact them.

Age UK formally age concern, they offer many things but may differ from area to area .
ours have things like a dementia day centre. Laundry service. toenail cutting , this is just a small selection of things they may do in your mums area, They also gave me some counselling . They also know what is available in the area and help with form filling.

The Alzheimer's Society. Do a lot of the above. They also run cafes .carer's courses.
So please contact 5 both of them.
age uk should be in the phone book.