Living wills/advance directives

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
From the Guardian ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/mar/06/euthanasia-doctors-death-gmc

And the Daily Mail ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re-wishes-terminally-ill-struck-says-GMC.html

I can feel a letter to Julian Brazier coming on ..... 'There is also a high risk that people have relatives with a vested interest in their death.' High risk? How can he justify that? Is that his view of society generally and how people approach the near death of someone they love?? (I assume he is referring to inheritances?)

Might it not be the case in the majority that relatives have a vested interest in their loved one's welfare and ensuring their wishes continue to be respected when there is little else can be done for them? I recall my mother's GP stating these situations are 'far harder' for the ones about to be left behind ...

It's hard enough when you are grieving and so closely involved, so surely it's not too much to ask of objective medics? Or am I just too touchy?

Karen

twinone

May 19, 2008
england
Hi Karen

I agree with you totally.

Personaly, the only thing I was concerned about was Steve, his welfare and care and how much he was suffering.

Have these people who make such sweeping statements about everyone in general ever gone through the torment of watching a loved one with a terminal disease. Maybe there are people who are more interested in their inheritance but surely these are few and far between.

I for one have suffered so much from losing him and am sure other people who care about there loved ones have gone or are going through the same thing. Not easy to do and no amount of money could compensate in my opinion.

Lots of love
Janet

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Karen

Thank you for reminding me why I usually read The Guardian, and never read The Daily Mail.

This irresponsible and emotive style of "journalism" makes my blood boil. :mad:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh Sue - yes. I particularly like their use of the word "killing". I'm surprised they didn't move up to slaughter but I suppose we should give it time.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sue, the bit that got me was the Daily Mail 'Comment' on Page 12 (7/3/09) which tipped the balance and made me decide to post on TP ..... (can't find the comments bit online sorry). Extract: "The guidelines will abolish their (the doctors) duty to go on fighting where they see no hope." (Isn't that what terminal means?) "Meanwhile, they will empower relatives, who may have suspect motives, to pronounce the death sentence on a burdensome parent or rich grandparent." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I can't believe the same newspaper which is running an article on Page 17 (Daily Mail Campaign' - For the Sake of Just £2.50 a day') can be so blinkered when it might come to 'end stages' (although the Living Wills issue doesn't just apply to dementia of course) .. perhaps they are like so many others (there's a sweeping statement for you!) that see dementia as a 'bit of forgetfulness' ..... and don't really want to know the 'nitty-gritty' about end of life decisions, never mind what might come between? Ugh, I thought this paper was supposed to be on 'our side'?????

Maybe this is too raw for me after the battle I had last year on mum's behalf - Janet - I guess we both know exactly where we are on this, as countless others will be. My love goes to everyone who has lived through it or might yet face it .....

Karen, x