Live in carer support - south west London

WifeyLT

May 16, 2017
Hi all,

I'm once again looking for advice - and this time about experiences of full time live in carer support.

In brief, my dad is middle late stage mixed Alzheimer's-dementia, has no short term memory, increasing personal needs (incontinence, soft foods diet) and cannot be left alone since he wanders.

He's been in residential care for just under 3 months now - 2 months respite in 1 near me that I really liked and then, when mum decided it should become permanent, she changed the home to a (cheaper) nursing home near her ... And it's just wholly unsuitable for him ... With other residents at end of life, etc. 1 month in, mum's now upset with her decision making and asking me for help to find carer support to bring him home.

Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences ... As selfish as it sounds, I am really struggling with the constant changes in our plans and being left to find new solutions ... And hold together my own work and family ... We need some continuity of care and plans.

Thanks, Lisa

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have no experience of live in carer support, only agency support for a couple of hours a day.

I expect live in carer support would be much more expensive than residential care. The carer could not be expected to work 24 hours a day and would need time off and holidays. I don`t know if others have managed it. Perhaps someone will let you know if they have.

It`s pity your dad was moved from the home near you which you were happy with but I understand your mum wanting your dad nearer her.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I enquired about live in care for the future because I like to be prepared and know what could happen. My care company charge £1500pw, the 2hrs break they need is covered in the cost but I need to also provide along with their own room etc all food and if they are woken more than twice in the night another £158. We live in Eadt Mids if that helps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susan103