Little changes

Bramble68

May 11, 2013
Hello everyone

My mum's in the fairly early stages - diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia last September, but we'd had suspicions for over a year. When I look back over the past 6 to 12 months, I can see how many little changes there have been, and how they're adding up without us realising.

My brother and I have POA, but it's mostly me sorting out bills, making sure there's cash in the house, etc. Since last summer, mum's lost deep understanding of bills, and anything more than simple addition, etc., - for someone whole lived alone for 10 years before she married, managed all the household accounts as my dad worked away, and never owed a penny in her life, this is a stark reminder of how far she's actually fallen. :(

Her personality is changing subtly, too, and our relationship with her is changing, from her being the parent to us being the parent to her. Thankfully, she's still herself, her sense of humour is intact, and some of the changes have worked in our favour, e.g. no interest in cooking or food, but will happily accept good quality ready meals or things we've cooked, so we can get decent food into her at least!

Sorry to waffle, especially when we're still at the start of the journey compared to so many of you, but I'm just registering the fact that she really IS changing and has changed a lot from the lady she was, and I already hate the insidious disease!

A xo

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You know this sounds like a very loving kind relationship to me. Yes, your Mum is changing but you are all showing care and concern and she is responding. That is what a family can do and when it works it is great. Good wishes to you all.

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
The little changes you mention are in fact major ones to you, your mother, her life and yours. I think it is the ability to adapt to every new challenge that really counts in managing this disease. You seem to have a constructive and cooperative relationship and this will help you and your mother to find the best way to cope moving forward. Whilst it is hard to accept changes in a loved one's personality and a bit frightening, you will find there will be enough of the "old her" around for a very long time...
With love....