Limiting volume on TV

AlisonB66

Oct 25, 2023
Help. My mother, who lives alone in a semi detached house, is up a lot at night watching the television. Unfortunately she has the volume very loud which is disturbing her next door neighbours. They are lovely and very supportive but it is keeping them awake. She has hearing aids which she forgets to wear and I don’t think she would wear headphones. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so any solutions?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My mother would watch the tv at a far higher volume than needed. I was convinced she could not process what the people were saying, and kept raising the volume in an attempt to remedy this.

Unfortunately I think the answer to your question is she requires night time supervision, which is not what you want to hear.

One idea would be to put the plug of the tv into a timer, so the tv was not capable of working between 10.30 and 7am. A box would need to go over the power point to prevent tampering.
It’s not a good idea, because she would not read the large note you leave explaining this. She will also most likely phone you to report the tv not working.
You could perhaps obtain an old portable tv with poor volume level ( or take the case off and muffle the speaker with foam). If that was elsewhere in the room and worked all night would she use that instead??

I am afraid that is the only idea I have at present! I hope others have more ideas to help you with this one!

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
I understand exactly where you're coming from. My mum has had hearing difficulties most of her life and when she was living independantly in her bungalow she would often have the tv volume so loud the flippin ornaments would rattle.

I know some modern LG and Sony TV's have a volume limiter which can be set so the volume never goes above a set level even if the remote volume button is pressed. A slightly more expensive option than headphones though.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I understand exactly where you're coming from. My mum has had hearing difficulties most of her life and when she was living independantly in her bungalow she would often have the tv volume so loud the flippin ornaments would rattle.

I know some modern LG and Sony TV's have a volume limiter which can be set so the volume never goes above a set level even if the remote volume button is pressed. A slightly more expensive option than headphones though.
https://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/C5151001/v1/eng/c_snd_max_fs.html

bearbear

Oct 20, 2023
Wirral
Help. My mother, who lives alone in a semi detached house, is up a lot at night watching the television. Unfortunately she has the volume very loud which is disturbing her next door neighbours. They are lovely and very supportive but it is keeping them awake. She has hearing aids which she forgets to wear and I don’t think she would wear headphones. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so any solutions?
yes I had the same problem with my husband having the tv way too loud. In the end I bought two sets of headphones, one for each of us so I can listen at a normal volume or just read a book while he has his on. I told him how wonderful the headphones were, so of course he had to have some as well. He takes out his hearing aids to wear the headphones and I charge them up every night so they are ready for each day. The neighbours of course can't hear a thing now.

AlisonB66

Oct 25, 2023

Thank you. I think she has an LG tv and so I’ll have a look at the settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980