Like the first dance at a wedding, and the last song at a funeral...

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Today is a special day. For me. Its dads birthday. Its not really sad Im thinking, because every one before was really happy,really special, full of joy.
So would he want it to be sad now? No, of course not. I think about last year...hmmm..on his birthday he couldnt manage a piece of cake, hmm...yet hang on a minute... the last birthday he had was in our home!....
He was warm, and snuggly, and loved. yes...thats how he would have wanted to be. The birthday before he was in hospital... they BROKE him.(I can never forgive them), I was in hospital too...but I smuggled a toffee crisp to him via a porter (he was two wards above me) and he tried to bribe the porter to tell him when his grand daughter would be born! I tell you what... I wouldnt have believed it.But he came down in that goddam lift and told the doctors off!!

There will never be another Dad like that...not for me...never be another husband for you, or an uncle, brother, best friend,...and well the ladies, they are something else!
Im a lost soul on this partcular site...my own doing...but all YOU PEEPS out there...listen to these wise wise ladies and gents...accept what is going on, accept all the help you can get, accept life....to its highest quality! One thing for sure...love can overcome death...ALWAYS!xxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Zoet, your words are so clear, and although there is deep loss and sadness, there is also so much life and loving in your post. You have such a good outlook on life's highs and lows. Can you send a little of this spirit out to me please!

xxTinaT

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Zoet
Your post touched that special place in my heart, the place reserved for special days and anniversarys.

Hard tho it is try to remember better times , i try to do that sometimes it works
Love and hugs to you

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks Zoet for your reflections on a much loved Dad on his birthday.

As I read it I can only find the words:
'it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'.

Take care

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Zoe,

How lovely that you've popped in to share with us about your Dad's birthday and to share your thoughts and musings and experiences:)

Im a lost soul on this partcular site...
That may be how you feel Zoe but I admit to being delighted that you've popped in to see us. I also admit to feeling a special kind of attachment to people who shared my own journey throughout Alan's life with dementia and so I light up when I see one of those faces from those days:) You are one of them:)

love

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Zoet. I love the title of your thread - it is somehow so poignant. xx