Lewy Body dementia - how much sedation is ethical?

JT123456

Aug 25, 2011
Hi, Im new into this forum. My Dad is 61 and has Parkinsons and Lewy Body dementia. Deterioration was gradual up until a half knee replacement operation on 25/07/11, following an epidural and sedation operation he flipped over night into what seems to be late stages of his illness. He cant speak, feed himself, drink himself, is incontinent etc. The quality of life now has just dissappeared. They are trying different levels of sedation, when under sedated he is highly distressed, hallucinating badly, not sleeping and too much aware of the awful state he is in. When over sedated he is peacefully sleeping more often than not. My question to anyone with simialar experiences is, why is it not ethical to over sedate? I keep being told they are not allowed to over sedate, but why not. I know my Dad and as euthanasia is not legal, the next best thing in his opinion would be 'knock him out!'. He would have said exactly those words. I cant stand seeing him suffer in this way. What are the law and regs on this?

Violetrose

Jul 18, 2017
Didsbury Manchester
My husband is in the late stages. The Dementia Nurse says his care is now palliative care. My understanding of palliative care is that it is to keep people as comfortable as possible by managing their symptoms. It would be unethical to give someone a drug that would kill them, but it is a kindness to give patients enough medication to manage their symptoms and keep them as comfortable as possible. Could you talk to your Dads GP or Nurse about managing his symptoms? Many GPs and Nurses are experts in palliative care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5