Letting off steam

Sparklingminds

Jun 6, 2017
Hi This is my first post my partner was diagnosed in January with early Alzheimer's dementia.
We go from good days to others where I sit and think what has gone so wrong,I'm a lot younger than my other half which I guess makes it harder as pherhaps if we were the same age I may not notice the changes so much.
I work 40 hours + in a demanding job role where my partner who is thankfully still able to drive and work only does a few hours a week and I can always see a change when he has.
I find his family very frustrating as I don't think they realise how hard each day can be.
sometimes my partner will Repeat himself over & over and if I'm lucky I will receive a voicemail with the same conversation it's so easy to be told he must be kept calm and as stress free as possible but sometimes I just want to shout what about me!!!
If I do let off steam to his family they always turn it round to making me feel a fool for even talking to them,and it always amazes me,when they do come round my partner seems to be back to "normal" sorry for ranting on is this common to feel this way.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis but I'm glad you've found this forum.

My own husband was 21years older than me and until I retired I was working full time as a Headteacher. I can understand the pressures you must be under. By the time I retired I had Carers supporting him and it was a godsend. He died almost a year ago.

Don't apologise for ranting on. This is the very place to have a rant and let off steam.

Oh, and yes - it is common to feel as you do. You're not alone! Always someone to share your experiences with here.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
In a word, yep, very common to feel that way!
Welcome to Talking Point. Glad you found us, but sorry for the circumstances that made you look us up! However, you're in the right place for finding yourself among others who "get it". My husband was 30 years older than me. He died almost two years ago.

This thing of your OH appearing more or less as he always was, with no symptoms of Alzheimer's disease showing, when he's dealing with other people is known as "Hostess Mode". Or I suppose "Host Mode" in this case. The ability to concentrate enough for a period of time on presenting themselves well. My husband, in the early and middle stages of the illness was a master at it!

Have a browse around the forum, join in where ever you want. And I'm sure others will be along soon with more advice.