Lets dispel the Myths of dementia

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
This is how we dispel myths about dementia, please read on

I’m going to continue to share our friend, Norm Mac’s writing. He tells it like it is regarding living with a dementia, in his case, Lewy Body Dementia. Norm is doing everything possible to educate folks about dementia, and he is doing a fantastic job! The following, below my writing, is from Norm today, March 6, 2023.
I keep telling you that all dementias aren’t Alzheimer’s, not all are about memory loss. Dementia is caused by the brain being damaged and disintegrating. Specific symptoms arise from which area of the brain is affected.
Comedian and actor, Robin Williams died from Lewy Body Dementia. He did not die from Clinical Depression. Lewy Body caused him to hear voices, have hallucinations, and to do things which in his undamaged mind, he would never have considered.
Actor Bruce Willis has FTD with Aphasia, the variant affecting his speech.
My husband, , had FTD, the variant causing loss of reasoning, judgment, insight and empathy. he did not lose his memory or speech. He lost his understanding of time, numbers, value of money and many others things requiring reasoning and judgment, which is quite a lot. He never lost his love for us or his epic musical abilities. He could still speak the 7+ languages he knew, and the week prior to his death he was still sitting at his piano, playing and singing in his golden voice.

Norm explains so much to us about how it feels to live with Lewy Body Dementia, which, no doubt Robin Williams felt as well. Thank you dear Norm.

Public

DEMENTIA... A SLIP IN TIME
Where am I? Where am I? You hear me cry,
It all looks so different, why oh why?
How did I get here? where is this place?
Who`s sat over there? An unfamiliar face!
This isn't my house, this is not my chair,
Why is life so very unfair?
I want to go home, I don't want to be here,
In strange surroundings, feeding my fear,
Then I am back, as quick as I went,
And all around me is heaven sent,
My beautiful wife sat right there
Here I am again, sat in my chair,
How long was I gone? it's just a slip in time,
I can never be sure what really is mine.
Norrms Mc Namara Diagnosed with dementia

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.

I’m going to continue to share our friend, Norm Mac’s writing. He tells it like it is regarding living with a dementia, in his case, Lewy Body Dementia. Norm is doing everything possible to educate folks about dementia, and he is doing a fantastic job! The following, below my writing, is from Norm today, March 6, 2023.
I keep telling you that all dementias aren’t Alzheimer’s, not all are about memory loss. Dementia is caused by the brain being damaged and disintegrating. Specific symptoms arise from which area of the brain is affected.
Comedian and actor, Robin Williams died from Lewy Body Dementia. He did not die from Clinical Depression. Lewy Body caused him to hear voices, have hallucinations, and to do things which in his undamaged mind, he would never have considered.
My husband, , had FTD, the variant causing loss of reasoning, judgment, insight and empathy. he did not lose his memory or speech. He lost his understanding of time, numbers, value of money and many others things requiring reasoning and judgment, which is quite a lot. He never lost his love for us or his epic musical abilities. He could still speak the 7+ languages he knew, and the week prior to his death he was still sitting at his piano, playing and singing in his golden voice.

Norm explains so much to us about how it feels to live with Lewy Body Dementia, which, no doubt Robin Williams felt as well. Thank you dear Norm.
Public

The first poetry I read when I joined was from Norrms and I found he could say more and give more knowledge in half a dozen brilliantly written verses than a text book. Never had the honour of meeting him but hope he continues to educate and entertain for a long time x

Xhanlbxx

Aug 31, 2019
I also feel that the myth of if someone has dementia they forget their family needs to be debunked .

My father had Alzheimer’s disease and when he was diagnosed the first thing I said was your going to forget me , he replied ‘ I will never forget you’.

Up to his passing two and a half weeks ago he never forgot me and stuck to his word

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020

Public

So true @Norrms and thank you for sharing such a moving post ❤

When mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia (however based on the evidence probably another variant) I was fortunate enough to understand that it could vary enormously from person to person. Sadly it's easy for 'number's sake' to pigeon hole large swathes of dementia sufferers; whether that be medics, public services or the 'well intentioned'. A carte blanch approach has become the norm. My mum's journey as with so many other people facing the same challenges is a personal one, an individual evolutionary process... I could science it out, I probably have to some degree (haha) but I refuse to allow her diagnosis to shackle her in the eyes of others. Mum might have Alzheimer's but don't make assumptions.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
So true @Norrms and thank you for sharing such a moving post ❤

When mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia (however based on the evidence probably another variant) I was fortunate enough to understand that it could vary enormously from person to person. Sadly it's easy for 'number's sake' to pigeon hole large swathes of dementia sufferers; whether that be medics, public services or the 'well intentioned'. A carte blanch approach has become the norm. My mum's journey as with so many other people facing the same challenges is a personal one, an individual evolutionary process... I could science it out, I probably have to some degree (haha) but I refuse to allow her diagnosis to shackle her in the eyes of others. Mum might have Alzheimer's but don't make assumptions.
Hear! Hear! Eddcorner, Is your mother registered for research tasks? and in touch with DEEP and LEAP, there are many of us kicking back against the establishment view of what we can do. And how we should be done to.

Cwb

Jul 6, 2022
Hear! Hear! Eddcorner, Is your mother registered for research tasks? and in touch with DEEP and LEAP, there are many of us kicking back against the establishment view of what we can do. And how we should be done to.
What is DEEP & LEAP?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What is DEEP & LEAP?

I’ve had a look and I think DEEP is

I think LEAP is

Apologies to @Pejic if I’m wrong!

Cwb

Jul 6, 2022

Cwb

Jul 6, 2022

I think LEAP is

Thank you…..very interesting…..

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
No she isn't @Pejic

And thank you!

I was unaware of same and will definitely take a look-see (although I would never commit without mum's consent) :) I'm against broad based labels after encountering so many in the fields of mental health and learning difficulties in my prior incarnation as a clinician. Consequently I'm very much an advocate of a person centred approach supporting individuals on a needs basis (services proclaim this but rarely deliver). My mum doesn't fit into the so called ascribed stereotype of Alzheimer's Dementia, her experience like so many others is a personal one as aforementioned. Raises my hackles as you've probably guessed ;)

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020

I think LEAP is

Thanks for signposting @Izzy !

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members