Leaving the tap on

Javangreenmagpie

Feb 18, 2022
Hi,
Mum has taken to leaving the tap on in the bathroom after washing her hands. She also has a habit of putting her used tissue down the sink plug hole. Usually, we're able to get there before the sink overflows, but not always, especially if Dad is home alone with Mum. She has flooded the bathroom twice now. Their tap is an all in one thing. Is there such a product as an alarm or sensor that could alert us that the tap has been left on? I'm taking a sign with me on Monday to stick on the mirror reminding her to turn the tap off, but she has ripped previous ones elsewhere in the house down, so I don't hold out much hope. Any advice greatly received. Thank you.

Javangreenmagpie

Feb 18, 2022
Would you consider a sensor tap like the ones you find in dept store toilets; they come on and turn themselves off. If you google sensor tap you will get an idea of if they would be useful.
Thanks Monday's child. I did consider this, but not sure how Mum would cope. She's toward the later stage of Dementia and my worry would be that she wouldn't wash her hands at all (it's hit and miss as it is anyway). Just wondered if there was some fabulous invention out there to make one less problem :D

Javangreenmagpie

Feb 18, 2022
Yes - it's called a person/carer to accompany her to the bathroom to supervise. It sounds like she needs this now.
Yes, she does have one of us with her most of the time, it's just for those odd times when she's woken up and we haven't heard her, despite constant checking (she's silent), or in the middle of the night to alert Dad.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hi @Javangreenmagpie
My mum does this every now and again. Not sure a sign would work, but good luck if you try it.
One night (I was asleep) she left the cold tap running at full throttle, when I woke up I rushed to the bathroom - luckily the overflow worked (only just).

I think the best thing to do is completely remove the sink plug - even the modern ones that stay in situ can be unscrewed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think the best thing to do is completely remove the sink plug
Or - far more expensive - change to a clinical version, no plug
2024-03-01_190902.png

paddude

Jan 27, 2022
You can get self closing taps (push down to start and they turn themselves off). Screwfix etc sell them.

Bracks48

Jun 18, 2016
My mum done this when she was at home. Water ended coming through living room
ceiling. She is now in care home and managed to do the same there 🙈 flooded her room and next doors. They have since removed the plug from her sink.

Javangreenmagpie

Feb 18, 2022
Thanks everyone. We've gone for a timed tap to replace the one they have and will also try out an alarm as well as removing the plug, although this so far hasn't helped as Mum puts things she's' squirrelled away down the plug hole, blocking it up.