Learning curve

Gnome

Jan 30, 2024
Hi everyone
My name is Lucia and my husband has early stage Alzheimer’s and it has been overwhelming for us both. John is 86,
I am 85. Sadly I am very unwell with a virus and have had to put John in a Care Home while I recover. It tears me apart to hear him saying he wants to come home and I am finding he is very confused
but he does realise when he isn’t making any sense.
Any advice would be appreciated. We live in Ringmer and are self funding.
Gnome aka Lucia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Gnome / Lucia

Wanting to go home is part and parcel of most people with dementia in care homes as they settle in. Much depends on what home they are referring to.

Did your husband ever want to go home when actually he was at home with you? It is part and parcel of the dementia mind.

You have a virus infection and if he was at home with you, the infection would have a detrimental effect on his dementia and you would find him more confused than ever and so more difficult to care for.

I can feel from your post how upset you are with the situation you find yourself in. The best thing you can do is try to get as much rest as you can to get rid of that virus and regain some health and energy. Then if it`s necessary, you can think of bringing your husband home.

It`s possible by that time he will have settled and life could be much less stressful for you.