LBD

Joy B

Jul 9, 2024
My husband after having a diagnosis of Parkinson‘s for 10 years, then Parkinson’s with Dementia for past 4 years, has just had his diagnosis changed to LBD. He has not walked since being in hospital exactly a year ago for 3 weeks, then needed to move to a Care home as I no longer was able to care for his physical needs.
He is rapidly losing any ability to do anything, except occasionally feed himself. There is no conversation yet his memory of names and faces is good. He is sleeping much more and often has breakfast in bed, fed to him by a carer, then gets up about 11am. He hardly has any movement and is either in bed or a reclining chair especially made to hold him upright. He has always suffered with hallucinations and anxiety. I have lots of questions regarding LBD, what stage is he in and what to expect at the end?
I’ve read that they can lose consciousness and go into a coma. What would cause this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the Dementia Support Forum @Joy B

Not a lot was known about LBD when I joined the forum in 2006 but slowly over the years more has been learnt about it and other less common dementias

There are still no definite levels of progression because so many other factors affect the way any dementia develops.

As in life, all experiences of death are different too.

I think the more anyone tries to find out about the finer details, the more confusing it becomes

I hope you will find some of the answers to your questions but also hope you can because part of a community no one would choose but are extremely grateful for

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
From being fully mobile, after falling and breaking his femur in the July, The Banjoman deteriorated quite quickly. His cognition was so poor afterwards that he could not interact with the physiotherapist to enable him to get back walking although he could stand Up. By September he needed hoisting to get him moved about downstairs in his care home and after a sudden decline one Wednesday he died on the Saturday, which was early in the October.
I think it was three years previously that he had been diagnosed with LBD.

Joy B

Jul 9, 2024
Thank you all who have replied so far. This is my first forum and finding it helpful ‘chatting’ about my husband and my feelings as it feels a very lonely place to be. My husband looks so helpless and fragile. A very tall 6’2” and now only weighing about 9.5 stones, he looks just skin and bone. He had been on sertraline for years which, we’ve been told, was the worst drug to be on for LBD. He has not been able to take many as very sensitive.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Joy B. I’m glad you’re finding it helpful. I hope you feel less lonely here.