LA Financial Assessment for home care and 'Standard General Expense Figure'

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Marnie63, May 15, 2018.

1. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Each April mum receives a letter from the LA which is part funding her home care - this confirms how much she needs to contribute weekly towards her care. As part of the calculations they list her weekly income vs weekly allowances. Under weekly allowances they quote a 'standard general expense figure', which I assume is a figure set by someone somewhere, covering a general weekly 'cost of living'. But this figure, I noticed, has not changed (ie gone up!) from the time she started receiving care (end of 2015). Presumably the someone somewhere doesn't think food, utilities, etc. ever increase in cost?! I doubt this is an error, but as I need to query something else with them, I will query this when I write. Seems a bit unfair, as any increase in Pension immediately gets taken away in contribution towards care, there's never any 'offset' as that 'general expense figure' never changes!

I just wondered if anyone else receiving funding for home care for someone has noticed this 'general expense figure' changing or not. I don't know if the figure applies countrywide, or differs from LA to LA.

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    That figure wouldn't be £189 by any chance? I think that's the figure everyone over a certain age needs to be left with and can't be touched. It's usually called the Minimum Income Guarantee though.

3. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    You're right Beate, it is £189! I did a search after I posted and found another LA in the UK quoting it as the minimum amount the Government says anyone over 60 should have to live on - then it clicked that this is the minimum income guarantee set by the Government. Still unfair that they haven't changed it for nearly 3 years though!