Just when I thought it was becoming easier…

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I thought that I was coping with grieving but I’m not. Perhaps it’s to do with losing Mam (who didn’t have dementia and was 94) recently but I keep dwelling on my losses. Sadly, at the moment I feel that I have regressed. I am back to remembering, quite vividly, some of the difficult dementia days. I struggle to recall the good times. Alongside all of this guilt comes flooding in again. Sensible head knows that I did all I could for James. In fact my wonderful stepdaughters tell me I did more than I should have done. My heart still questions it at times.
I suspect that this is back in my head because, having just finished with solicitors last week who were dealing with James estate I found myself this morning back there to sort out Mam’s estate. I am sure that I will find the resilience to help me get through this and to develop strategies to help me to learn to live with my grief. I don’t think it ever leaves us completely.

This feels like too much. I think I need a holiday or some form of distraction but my decision making skills , which used to be reasonable, are now shocking. Life is hard at the moment but, hopefully, better times will return.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I know I've asked this on here, but is it a different experience for a man.
Tomorrow I go to work with Mr Next Door, laying decking, and OK I'll be 70 next year but I can still do the fetching and carrying.
The lady we are working for has AZ, but her daughter will be there, significant under quote as I work for free now on certain jobs where a CRB/DBS is needed.
Likewise Mrs Next Door or him take me to the supermarket or sometimes his little sister (all grown up later 20s) alone or with the kids.
Were I to be female probably I would still get the shopping offer but I enjoy the work trips more, gets me out and about, somehow I don't think I would get the offer to work with him were I to be a woman.
Since mother nature retired me as a carer time can hang heavy on your hands, have you though about doing some voluntary work, just to get you out of the house. K

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear @GillP

Having read your post I felt the need to respond. No two people experience grief in exactly the same way. I lost mum just over three years ago after seven years of caring. Her Dementia developed steadily and COVID lockdowns accelerated the process. I lived with her as an adult for many years, we use to joke we were the odd couple who were not married but got on so well. Soul mates, confidants, fellow travellers, etc. Please accept the following observations are well intentioned. I can emphasise with your feelings but that does not guarantee my observations will help.

Before I go any further let’s look at guilty feelings. I think most ex carers experience it, replaying perceived failings in their caring role. Please accept you were part of the solution not the problem. Accept the positive judgement of other loved ones close to the situation. Any minor failings you might regret are very tiny compared to all the good you did. Those failings I suggest in reality are not real in the most part, they are just the guilt monster talking. It is hard to do but please let go of any guilt feelings. You did your very best, in circumstances most people do not have to face. Challenge that voice of guilt by remembering all the positive and practical things you did as a carer. As our American cousins would say cut yourself some slack.

1) You are still in the earliest period of grief. Your own is compounded by the loss of two loved ones close together. I see grief of an emotional storm. The initial waves are huge, you literally drown in the feelings. They fill your every waking moment. You shared a life with a loving partner, did most things together, the hole in your life covers every part of it. Please just accept the intense grief is natural but clearly deeply unpleasant. The price we pay for having loved deeply. Overtime the waves reduce in size, but an event or memory or experience might suddenly without warning throw you back again into that initial overwhelming situation. Grief is not a linear experience.
2) Unfortunately in your early days of grief reality does not help. I was the executor of my mum’s estate and that really hurt. Removing her from council tax, utility, insurance, records, etc, just felt like personally I was erasing her memory. It felt oddly like I was making mum a non person, like she never existed. If you reflect for a moment is that a feeling you are having? Sometimes identifying the triggers of our emotions can help us deal with them.
3) You are correct that grief never leaves us. We just become better at living with it, slowly build a new life, find new meaning and purpose. A holiday might help but I found all I had done was to change my location to experience my grief in. It took me time to realise I was avoiding the grief emotion which was dominating my life, if that does not sound like a contradiction. Only when I sat down, let the grief wash completely over me, accepted the fact my life had changed and it was waiting for me to re engage with it. I feared reaching for the future would mean I would forget the past, even betray it in an odd way I never fully grasped. Now I realise the grief process in some strange way allows us time to process and make that transition. Hard to put any better into words.
4) Finally please accept your decision making will get better. I read that grief is also a protective state. You have suffered a profound loss. Your mind knows you are not at your best so it shuts down major decision making. Not today it thinks to itself. No leave that until we are in a better place emotionally. The brain operates at different levels, even where thoughts and emotions are concerned. We are aware of part of the process but not all of it. In grief I suggest we are aware of even less than normal.

You said it yourself. Grief never fully leaves us. The intensity eases, we function better over time, but the sense of being incomplete, of loss, of gaps in our life never fully departs. It comforts me to think mI’m is now free from Dementia and the ravages of a failing physical body. Yes it hurts still to have lost her. However far better to have loved, known and lost than never to have done so. My life was enriched by her presence. The same is true for your loved ones and your life experienced with them having been in it. My best wishes for the future.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I thought that I was coping with grieving but I’m not. Perhaps it’s to do with losing Mam (who didn’t have dementia and was 94) recently but I keep dwelling on my losses. Sadly, at the moment I feel that I have regressed. I am back to remembering, quite vividly, some of the difficult dementia days. I struggle to recall the good times. Alongside all of this guilt comes flooding in again. Sensible head knows that I did all I could for James. In fact my wonderful stepdaughters tell me I did more than I should have done. My heart still questions it at times.
I suspect that this is back in my head because, having just finished with solicitors last week who were dealing with James estate I found myself this morning back there to sort out Mam’s estate. I am sure that I will find the resilience to help me get through this and to develop strategies to help me to learn to live with my grief. I don’t think it ever leaves us completely.

This feels like too much. I think I need a holiday or some form of distraction but my decision making skills , which used to be reasonable, are now shocking. Life is hard at the moment but, hopefully, better times will return.
You really have been through a lot and all the things that come following a death such as probate and clearing out homes brings all the grief back. I have no idea of why we load ourselves up with guilt when we are not robots, we are merely human beings who try to do our best. Sometimes we make mistakes but that just makes us vulnerable to the impact of the experiences we go through.

I believe that you are not ready to make decisions. Crisis and grief are the worst times for decision making as the intense emotion we feel makes a mess of our psyche and scrambles our judgement.
Why not choose a short break, somewhere not too far away, where you can go for long walks, have a coffee when you feel like it and simply rest? Perhaps give yourself a chance to feel the grief and then gently let it go.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@GillP it is only to be expected that you’re struggling with your . You have had 2 bereavements quite close together plus the stressful times caring for your OH. That is a lot to process and work through So it will take time. Be kind to yourself.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
losing your mum has brought all the old grieving you felt with your husband not long ago. like history repeating itself. i would take a breather and let the thoughts settle so it brings it all in perspective. give yourself permission to not making decisions just yet

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I know I've asked this on here, but is it a different experience for a man.
Tomorrow I go to work with Mr Next Door, laying decking, and OK I'll be 70 next year but I can still do the fetching and carrying.
The lady we are working for has AZ, but her daughter will be there, significant under quote as I work for free now on certain jobs where a CRB/DBS is needed.
Likewise Mrs Next Door or him take me to the supermarket or sometimes his little sister (all grown up later 20s) alone or with the kids.
Were I to be female probably I would still get the shopping offer but I enjoy the work trips more, gets me out and about, somehow I don't think I would get the offer to work with him were I to be a woman.
Since mother nature retired me as a carer time can hang heavy on your hands, have you though about doing some voluntary work, just to get you out of the house. K
I am have friends nearby and I am developing a routine and do make sure that I get out every day. I am exploring a few options regarding voluntary work it’s just deciding what would best use my skills and experience. Having said that there’s much to be said for trying something completely different.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Dear @GillP

Having read your post I felt the need to respond. No two people experience grief in exactly the same way. I lost mum just over three years ago after seven years of caring. Her Dementia developed steadily and COVID lockdowns accelerated the process. I lived with her as an adult for many years, we use to joke we were the odd couple who were not married but got on so well. Soul mates, confidants, fellow travellers, etc. Please accept the following observations are well intentioned. I can emphasise with your feelings but that does not guarantee my observations will help.

Before I go any further let’s look at guilty feelings. I think most ex carers experience it, replaying perceived failings in their caring role. Please accept you were part of the solution not the problem. Accept the positive judgement of other loved ones close to the situation. Any minor failings you might regret are very tiny compared to all the good you did. Those failings I suggest in reality are not real in the most part, they are just the guilt monster talking. It is hard to do but please let go of any guilt feelings. You did your very best, in circumstances most people do not have to face. Challenge that voice of guilt by remembering all the positive and practical things you did as a carer. As our American cousins would say cut yourself some slack.

1) You are still in the earliest period of grief. Your own is compounded by the loss of two loved ones close together. I see grief of an emotional storm. The initial waves are huge, you literally drown in the feelings. They fill your every waking moment. You shared a life with a loving partner, did most things together, the hole in your life covers every part of it. Please just accept the intense grief is natural but clearly deeply unpleasant. The price we pay for having loved deeply. Overtime the waves reduce in size, but an event or memory or experience might suddenly without warning throw you back again into that initial overwhelming situation. Grief is not a linear experience.
2) Unfortunately in your early days of grief reality does not help. I was the executor of my mum’s estate and that really hurt. Removing her from council tax, utility, insurance, records, etc, just felt like personally I was erasing her memory. It felt oddly like I was making mum a non person, like she never existed. If you reflect for a moment is that a feeling you are having? Sometimes identifying the triggers of our emotions can help us deal with them.
3) You are correct that grief never leaves us. We just become better at living with it, slowly build a new life, find new meaning and purpose. A holiday might help but I found all I had done was to change my location to experience my grief in. It took me time to realise I was avoiding the grief emotion which was dominating my life, if that does not sound like a contradiction. Only when I sat down, let the grief wash completely over me, accepted the fact my life had changed and it was waiting for me to re engage with it. I feared reaching for the future would mean I would forget the past, even betray it in an odd way I never fully grasped. Now I realise the grief process in some strange way allows us time to process and make that transition. Hard to put any better into words.
4) Finally please accept your decision making will get better. I read that grief is also a protective state. You have suffered a profound loss. Your mind knows you are not at your best so it shuts down major decision making. Not today it thinks to itself. No leave that until we are in a better place emotionally. The brain operates at different levels, even where thoughts and emotions are concerned. We are aware of part of the process but not all of it. In grief I suggest we are aware of even less than normal.

You said it yourself. Grief never fully leaves us. The intensity eases, we function better over time, but the sense of being incomplete, of loss, of gaps in our life never fully departs. It comforts me to think mI’m is now free from Dementia and the ravages of a failing physical body. Yes it hurts still to have lost her. However far better to have loved, known and lost than never to have done so. My life was enriched by her presence. The same is true for your loved ones and your life experienced with them having been in it. My best wishes for the future.
Many thanks for your considered reply. All that you write makes sense.The storm analogy resonates completely. It’s strange but the very act of writing my feelings down was cathartic. When I mentioned this to my younger stepdaughter she suggested that I should try journaling.

Your final sentences are lovely and give me reassurance. Many thanks and I wish you well.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
You really have been through a lot and all the things that come following a death such as probate and clearing out homes brings all the grief back. I have no idea of why we load ourselves up with guilt when we are not robots, we are merely human beings who try to do our best. Sometimes we make mistakes but that just makes us vulnerable to the impact of the experiences we go through.

I believe that you are not ready to make decisions. Crisis and grief are the worst times for decision making as the intense emotion we feel makes a mess of our psyche and scrambles our judgement.
Why not choose a short break, somewhere not too far away, where you can go for long walks, have a coffee when you feel like it and simply rest? Perhaps give yourself a chance to feel the grief and then gently let it go.
Thank you for your reply. I am going to follow your advice about not making decisions just yet. Also I like the idea of a short break and will investigate possibilities.