Just need to write it down

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
Hello everyone
I’ve arrived here late in my mum’s Alzheimer’s journey ( now 78) and the last few weeks have been quite stressful to say the least. She lives at home with my dad ( her husband of almost 61 years and partner for almost 65) and has been diagnosed for just over 5 years. She has aphasia and her speech deteriorated quickly as did her ability to write and read. In the last year her mobility was also lost and she is hoisted into a chair each day from her bed and stays there all day. She was eating finger foods and drinking with very little support up until about a month ago when she became ill with a chest infection which became sepsis. After 72 hrs in hospital ( being given fluids due to high sodium levels ) she returned home ( l ss than a week before Dec 25th) and since then, bar Christmas Day, she has stayed in bed and been pretty much asleep all day. She will eat yogurt and trifles etc and had food on Christmas Day but drinking is harder. She is having two Ensure drinks daily but not enough water. She has a few sores which the DN said was usually a sign of EOL but her BP, SATS etc are all good. Sometimes she smiles and says one word or two but will also eat and drink with eyes closed. My poor dad (83) is beside himself at night when they are alone and so we are now awaiting Fast Track for a nursing home for EOL care. I’ve found posts on here so useful but also made me wonder now how near to the end we are… seems experiences are so varied and often as individual as the people themselves!
Anyway to be honest I just needed to write it down to help process it all…

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Christmasqueen and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your situation. This is a great place to share with people who truly understand. I don't have recent experience of end of life but others here may be able to help with your questions and feelings. I don't think that anyone can say for certain given that, as you rightly say, experiences are so varied. You may find some helpful information in this link:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to read your post @Christmasqueen. It sounds as if the sepsis has caused a lot of damage.

Both parents deserve more care than they are getting and I sincerely hope a nursing home bed will be found for your mother and your dad will be relieved of the nightmare he is living.

I don`t know how near the end of life your mother is but for both her and your dad`s sake, I would keep pushing for a bed for her.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Christmasqueen and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read about your situation as well. There is no answer to the question of how long have you got when someone is on end of life care. It is amazing how long the body can continue on with little or no nourishment or liquid. I had the same with my dear Mum last year, she rallied for a day or so, then went downhill again, and gradually refused/or was not able to swallow. But it wasn't quick. But for some , it can be.
I sincerely hope, as others have said, that a nursing home bed will be found for your Mum. End of life care is really about making the person comfortable and pain free. Doctors will have prescribed anticipatory medicines, which can be administered by a medical professional as and when required.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information and helpful advice. Wishing you strength.

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
Hi @Christmasqueen and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your situation. This is a great place to share with people who truly understand. I don't have recent experience of end of life but others here may be able to help with your questions and feelings. I don't think that anyone can say for certain given that, as you rightly say, experiences are so varied. You may find some helpful information in this link:
Thank you 🙏🏼 I also lost my grandad to this disease ( he lived with us so we were very close) but nothing prepares you to go through it again as it’s all so different. Being a space with people who have experienced this too ( sadly) really helps x

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
I`m so sorry to read your post @Christmasqueen. It sounds as if the sepsis has caused a lot of damage.

Both parents deserve more care than they are getting and I sincerely hope a nursing home bed will be found for your mother and your dad will be relieved of the nightmare he is living.

I don`t know how near the end of life your mother is but for both her and your dad`s sake, I would keep pushing for a bed for her.
Thank you for your reply. X we are waiting to hear about a bed for her but have been told it will be next week now as it’s Friday :(

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
Hello @Christmasqueen and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read about your situation as well. There is no answer to the question of how long have you got when someone is on end of life care. It is amazing how long the body can continue on with little or no nourishment or liquid. I had the same with my dear Mum last year, she rallied for a day or so, then went downhill again, and gradually refused/or was not able to swallow. But it wasn't quick. But for some , it can be.
I sincerely hope, as others have said, that a nursing home bed will be found for your Mum. End of life care is really about making the person comfortable and pain free. Doctors will have prescribed anticipatory medicines, which can be administered by a medical professional as and when required.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information and helpful advice. Wishing you strength.
Thank you for your support… it’s so helpful to be with people who understand x

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Hello @Christmasqueen
I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. Hopefully you will hear some news about a care home soon. I know how stressful and worrying it is having been through a similar thing with my mum (and still going through it really).
Last year my mum needed to be moved to a care home on very short notice and it was the Coronation bank holiday weekend so nothing could be done - longest weekend of my life! Social services did arrange for carers to visit 3-4 times a day. Our situation was similar with my dad (79) caring for my mum at home (75). Have you got any carers visiting while you’re waiting for a care home bed? If not, I’d try and arrange something if you can as at least there will be someone visiting to help, anything is better than nothing and it may take some pressure off you.

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
Hello @Christmasqueen
I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. Hopefully you will hear some news about a care home soon. I know how stressful and worrying it is having been through a similar thing with my mum (and still going through it really).
Last year my mum needed to be moved to a care home on very short notice and it was the Coronation bank holiday weekend so nothing could be done - longest weekend of my life! Social services did arrange for carers to visit 3-4 times a day. Our situation was similar with my dad (79) caring for my mum at home (75). Have you got any carers visiting while you’re waiting for a care home bed? If not, I’d try and arrange something if you can as at least there will be someone visiting to help, anything is better than nothing and it may take some pressure off you.
Thanks for your reply x Yes thankfully we have carers 3 times a day for personal care. My dad finds the night hard though, when he’s alone with my mum … think he’s lonely and scared she will pass away whilst he’s on his own with her.
Yesterday she seemed more alert for the first time in days and ate, drank and laughed. Today she seems back to being more sleepy. I’m sorry that you have been through ( are going through) similar. How has your dad coped with being alone ? Worried after mum goes into a home he will be lonely after over 60 years together.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Thanks for your reply x Yes thankfully we have carers 3 times a day for personal care. My dad finds the night hard though, when he’s alone with my mum … think he’s lonely and scared she will pass away whilst he’s on his own with her.
Yesterday she seemed more alert for the first time in days and ate, drank and laughed. Today she seems back to being more sleepy. I’m sorry that you have been through ( are going through) similar. How has your dad coped with being alone ? Worried after mum goes into a home he will be lonely after over 60 years together.
Hi

I’ve just read your post on one of the other threads here and how you describe your mum is very similar to mine. She too has quite back sores, she is more or less bed ridden now and is very sleepy and unaware most days. Some days she’s more alert but I think gradually these are becoming less and less. I really hope your mum can be moved to a nursing home setting soon, even just to take the weight off your dad. I imagine the nights feel very long. My dad is/was the same, he was the sole carer until my mum lost her mobility and started having falls.

At the moment I’m not sure how he’s coping. In a way he is better because I think the stress of caring for mum was making him ill so at least that has been alleviated, but on the other hand I don’t think it has fully sunk in yet or at least he’s not had time to sort of be lonely in a way, as he’s been so busy visiting mum either in hospital or at the care home. I am worried to be honest about what he’ll do once everything is finally over and mums gone as his whole life the last couple of years have been caring for mum and before that they did everything as a couple so I don’t know what he’ll be like or how he’ll find it on his own. It’s all so very sad, isn’t it?

When my mum went into the home first (last may) I wanted him to do… something. I don’t know what but you know, join something or start going somewhere or even just get a cat or a dog for company but he wouldn’t entertain it. Maybe your dad will be a bit more receptive than mine!

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
Hi

I’ve just read your post on one of the other threads here and how you describe your mum is very similar to mine. She too has quite back sores, she is more or less bed ridden now and is very sleepy and unaware most days. Some days she’s more alert but I think gradually these are becoming less and less. I really hope your mum can be moved to a nursing home setting soon, even just to take the weight off your dad. I imagine the nights feel very long. My dad is/was the same, he was the sole carer until my mum lost her mobility and started having falls.

At the moment I’m not sure how he’s coping. In a way he is better because I think the stress of caring for mum was making him ill so at least that has been alleviated, but on the other hand I don’t think it has fully sunk in yet or at least he’s not had time to sort of be lonely in a way, as he’s been so busy visiting mum either in hospital or at the care home. I am worried to be honest about what he’ll do once everything is finally over and mums gone as his whole life the last couple of years have been caring for mum and before that they did everything as a couple so I don’t know what he’ll be like or how he’ll find it on his own. It’s all so very sad, isn’t it?

When my mum went into the home first (last may) I wanted him to do… something. I don’t know what but you know, join something or start going somewhere or even just get a cat or a dog for company but he wouldn’t entertain it. Maybe your dad will be a bit more receptive than mine!
Definitely sounds so similar. I have just got home from visiting her and she looked very distant but was a little more alert and laughing/smiling. It’s always seems that she is more alert early evening though… think that’s a dementia thing?
My dad absolutely won’t join anything like a group or anything. My sister lives two doors away from him so her cat visits regularly but it won’t be enough. He enjoys chatting to the carers etc now and they won’t be coming any more 😢

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Definitely sounds so similar. I have just got home from visiting her and she looked very distant but was a little more alert and laughing/smiling. It’s always seems that she is more alert early evening though… think that’s a dementia thing?
My dad absolutely won’t join anything like a group or anything. My sister lives two doors away from him so her cat visits regularly but it won’t be enough. He enjoys chatting to the carers etc now and they won’t be coming any more 😢
Yes could be a dementia thing. There's something about that time of day. Some people start 'sundowning' where they get a bit more agitated or manic - maybe your mum is past that stage now so she's just more alert, more 'awake' in a way. Up until this stage of things my mum would have short periods of being like that so make the most of it while you can. My mum was last really alert and smiling and laughing literally the day before she was rushed to hospital with what was the start of the end stages we're in now. It was so unusual by that time I took photos to show my sister. I think it might have been her last hurrah.

Your dad sounds just like mine. I'm worried what'll happen 'afterwards'. Right now everyone is ringing all the time too to ask how things are. When that stops, what then? Sorry I don't have any answers or tips for you, but helps to know we're not the only ones with these worries!