Just moved back to the UK to care for mum and dad

Meerkat

Mar 7, 2012
Oldham
Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum for a couple of years, since my mum started showing signs of dementia, and find it very useful and comforting. My mum (86) was diagnosed with mixed dementia 18 months ago, my dad is 89 and has all his faculties but had been finding it very difficult to cope. I am an only child and was living in France with my husband and daughter. In March during a visit to my parents I finally accepted that they needed daily help and support, which was impossible to give while living abroad. So we decided as a family to move back to the UK, which we did last week. Now we are living 3 miles away so it’s easy to go over every day or as needed.

So now I am faced with the reality of providing care and I have to say it’s a daunting prospect! My mum is a very strong character and is fiercely resistant to help or what she sees as interference. She’s completely unaware of her condition although, with the doctor’s encouragement, I explained the diagnosis to her at the time. She thinks she’s fine. In the last 6 months however, she has stopped washing, she smells and wears the same dirty clothes all the time. Their flat is also pretty dirty. Mum still washes up but that’s about it. My dad does his best: he’s been doing the shopping and laundry. The worst thing really is the relationship between mum and dad. There’s a lot of shouting because dad tries to manage her (e.g. stopping her walking 2 miles to the bank to withdraw cash that she doesn’t need) and she goes berserk at the least sign of anyone trying to control her.

So the question is, now I am here, what’s the best way to make things better for them? I didn’t want to barge in and take over, causing a massive disruption. So I have started gradually, spending 2-3 hours there every other day. I’ve been shopping, cooking meals and I actually managed to clean the bathroom without mum noticing yesterday. She gets very offended if I start cleaning, for obvious reasons.

The most pressing and perplexing problem really is mum’s personal care. I’ve read the information on this site about washing and dressing but I just cannot imagine how I will overcome mum’s resistance. She’s so feisty and easily offended and if she gets a whiff of me trying to organise her she will start crying and shouting, saying “you’re as bad as your father”! Oh dear.

I should just add that mum was assessed by the Community Mental Health team about a year ago. They came round and interviewed her and she was very upset afterwards and said they didn’t need any help. All they offered was to take mum out for a couple of hours a week to give dad a break. She wouldn’t have gone along with that. Eventually they rang me and said they were closing the case because everything they had offered was turned down by my parents. Now that mum’s personal care situation has deteriorated, perhaps it might be time for a reassessment?

Pleased to meet you all and look forward to friendly interactions as we embark on this new life adventure!

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes I would go for a reassessment. From what I've read here some dementia sufferers have carers coming in to do the personal care a couple of times a week. Whether it's accepted is a different matter. Going to a daycare centre is also an option-sell it to your Mum as a 'lunch club' or a place where she is needed to help with the teas and cakes;);)

Some day care centres also have facilities for washing etc.

I do wish that people would not have their cases closed when help is offered and refused, especially when carer and caree are elderly. Surely that should be flagged up as a problem case and a periodic review should be offered?

Take care and good luck

Lyn T

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
Hi and welcome
I don't have any advice about washing as my uncle still manages that himself, but he did refuse to change his clothes, so I bought identical items to the ones he was living in and when he goes to the loo in the night I nip out and swap his dirty ones for his clean ones, he wears black trousers so that was easy but the jumper was more difficult, I had to get them off of eBay in the end, pants and vest luckily he's always worn plain white so no troubles with swapping them. Maybe you could get your dad to swap her clothes over when she's asleep!
Good luck x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi And welcome,

Difficult to help when help is being refused. To start with just do what you can without causing any upset and maybe gradually you will be able to do more.

I know your Mother is the sufferer but please keep an eye on your Dad because it is a fact that carers get overlooked and they start to break down without anyone noticing. Then there are two people needing help.

Good luck,

Jay

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I used to put a child pool on garden, heat some water to make it confortable and then ask mom to join me.

After some minutes she felt cold, so she accepted shower easily

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I had similar problems issues with mum being terribly offended when I did anything in my parents utterly filthy house. I once deliberately fell with a bowl of crisps so that I had a good reason to get the hoover out.
Mum would not wash, in the end it turned out she had forgotten how to take off her clothes (6 pairs of knickers on at once) but in that sort of confused way where she could manage to go to bed and take a few things off but not when it came to being in the bathroom, apart from going to the toilet..... so complicated.
my parents also refused all help for a year. It was more my dad than my mum which I only found out when I started investigating, as he was so very negative about things not working, without ever even trying them out.

I suggest accidentally spilling something really greasy and smelling strong over your mum's clothes, if you can get it well rubbed into her skin in your clumsy attempt to clean her up so much the better, then she will have to accept your offer of running a bath and a complete change of clothes. I realise this is a drastic thing to do and you may not be able to do it every week (don't even think you will get her to bath every day) so I hope you don't think I am cruel, she will probably be pretty mad at you too. Otherwise you will live as we did with mum smelling terrible for a couple of years. it didn't actually do her any harm.

Meerkat

Mar 7, 2012
Oldham
Thanks, Lyn. I will think about a reassessment in time but as I've only been here a week I think I should persist with trying to manage her personal care myself for a while. I just know she would go berserk if strangers came in, especially for such a private thing. Also she wouldn't go to any kind of day centre. She's such an independent person.

Meerkat

Mar 7, 2012
Oldham
Thanks Beenie, I realise I have to get wily and think fast. When mum went out for a 20 minute walk yesterday I rushed round the flat collecting dirty clothes and putting them in the washing machine. And when we went out in the afternoon she did realise she needed to change, so that was progress.

Meerkat

Mar 7, 2012
Oldham
Thank you, Jay. You are right about keeping an eye on Dad. It has already made a huge difference that I am now close by rather than 1000 miles away. He is visibly less stressed because he knows he no longer has to cope alone.
I know your Mother is the sufferer but please keep an eye on your Dad because it is a fact that carers get overlooked and they start to break down without anyone noticing. Then there are two people needing help.

Good luck,

Jay

sheila55

Feb 6, 2014
Hi Meerkat

I too used to say that Mum would never go to a Day Care Centre but as her dementia progressed I was able to suggest she go to a "Lunch Club" and she took to it like a duck to water. Loved it and became upset if she had to miss a day. So perhaps it is not for right now but something to keep in mind for the future.
Good luck with the personal care. Mum also refused any help with that. We never did manage to solve it until she went into a nursing home and they took over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous 123