Just letting it out…

TryingToRetainGrace

Aug 23, 2019
I have never posted on here before but have been getting advice from the lovely, brave, humorous and caring people here for a few years now and it has given me comfort and strength.

I am afraid I don’t have any advice to offer, I just want to have a moan if you will indulge me.

My grandmother died in 2015 of Alzheimer’s, and I never thought I would have to deal with it again so soon after. However both of my parents have had dementia for a few years now; mum has Mixed Dementia and dad is not diagnosed.

We have been living with this reality for several years but the last few months have been really tough. It became apparent they are not showering, cooking, taking medication, washing clothes or cleaning, so I am now in charge of all of these. I have 1 sibling who is supportive and pitches in as much as possible but lives almost an hour away. We have just started 2 x 30 mins daily carer visits and I am hoping that this routine will settle down soon, and will help to ease the load on me. I don’t begrudge doing it for a second but I am so sad for them that they are in this situation.

I am angry. So angry. I want to stamp my feet like a child.

Why is this happening to us? Why both of them? It is so much to deal with at once.

It is not fair that my brilliant, funny, intelligent, caring parents have been stolen away and what has been left behind are two people I barely recognise. All our shared memories, the fun times, the not so fun times, in-jokes, places we have been, stories about family and friends. The support and love.

It takes all their dignity away from them.
I miss them so much, even though I can still see them.

Now it is just worry, stress, repetition, suspicion and upset. And it is only going to get worse. I am tired and drained now; how am I going to get through this? I don’t remember the last time I enjoyed myself or felt happy or hopeful.

I am thrust in to a role I didn’t apply for and am not qualified to do. I don’t know what I am doing.

It is not fair. It isn’t for any of us, whether a carer at present, suffering with this terrible disease or if you have lost a loved one.

I know there is always someone worse off, but I don’t feel like counting my blessings right now. I ain’t writing no gratitude journal today. There is no “at least….” to make me feel better. I am angry, and sad, and scared. And it is ok to say so.

For everyone else going through this, I send you love and best wishes. Thank you for listening.

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Just seen your post come up. I'm new to the page. I didn't want to scroll on by without saying, I hear you, I see you. Life just feels pants some days. I'm sorry to hear that you're in the middle of it. x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @TryingToRetainGrace
a warm welcome to DTP

rant, stamp, weep as much as you need to ... it's absolutely not fair, it's not right, it shouldn't be ... so, so sadly, it is

I'm glad that reading around threads has been helping you ... and that you chose to post so folk here can support you

you're doing an amazing job of looking out for your parents ... it's good that you have home care visits organised, I just wonder, from what you've described, whether it's time to think of residential care; tough I appreciate

keep posting, members understand

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Just read your post and wanted to send you a hug. You're not alone, please make sure you take care of yourself. Sending love

TryingToRetainGrace

Aug 23, 2019
hello @TryingToRetainGrace
a warm welcome to DTP

rant, stamp, weep as much as you need to ... it's absolutely not fair, it's not right, it shouldn't be ... so, so sadly, it is

I'm glad that reading around threads has been helping you ... and that you chose to post so folk here can support you

you're doing an amazing job of looking out for your parents ... it's good that you have home care visits organised, I just wonder, from what you've described, whether it's time to think of residential care; tough I appreciate

keep posting, members understand
Thank you so much. We are all in a club we don’t want to be a member of really.

Yes we are looking in to residential care as I think that stage is rapidly approaching, certainly for my mum. Doing some research at present. We were lucky enough to have a positive experience with my grandmother’s home - in fact we all wanted to move in, such were the activities and facilities - so I hope we can find somewhere suitable this time around. I can’t help thinking mum would be better off having activities to do, professional care and people around her to chat to. Her world has grown so small lately. That is my view not hers though I guess.

TryingToRetainGrace

Aug 23, 2019
Just read your post and wanted to send you a hug. You're not alone, please make sure you take care of yourself. Sending love
Thank you, it is appreciated. Sending a hug back to you! It is hard isn’t it, making sure we don’t get lost in the middle of it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell