Just found out my mum has early onset Alzheimer’s

Linzwinz

Apr 30, 2023
Newton le willows
Hi everyone my name is Lindsay I’m 39 and me and my sister just found out my mum has Alzheimer’s at 64. She almost died at Christmas due to respiratory failure and whilst in hospital she had a blue forget me not flower present on her chart but it’s taken this long to get a diagnosis as she’s had infections or been poorly. We lost my nan last year and the decline seems to have increased since then. Would just be nice to have any advice of what to expect really

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Linzwinz.

I’m so sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis - she’s so young too. Also my condolences on the loss of your nan. What a hard year you’re having.

I’m really glad you have found this forum. You’ll get lots of understanding and support here. There’s lots of information on the main Alzheimer’s Society website but you might find this of interest just now -

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
So sorry that you and your sis find yourself in this situation. You have really been through it. You have lost your Nan. You recently nearly lost your mum. Now your mums dementia diagnosis……
You feel that if someone could sit you down and tell you exactly what is coming your way in the months and years ahead, then you could prepare yourself , get organised and spare yourself heartache. Many of us feel like that but it isn’t real. If you know one person with dementia then you know just ONE person with dementia. Every journey is different so there isn’t a real way of predicting your mums health trajectory.
Even if there was, for example, a fortune teller predicted the exact date of Nans death would any of you shed one tear less because you knew?
Take a deep breath and come into the here and now. Today your mum is with you, today she has overcome the infections. That is today.
you will always have compassion and encouragement on this site whatever.

Linzwinz

Apr 30, 2023
Newton le willows
So sorry that you and your sis find yourself in this situation. You have really been through it. You have lost your Nan. You recently nearly lost your mum. Now your mums dementia diagnosis……
You feel that if someone could sit you down and tell you exactly what is coming your way in the months and years ahead, then you could prepare yourself , get organised and spare yourself heartache. Many of us feel like that but it isn’t real. If you know one person with dementia then you know just ONE person with dementia. Every journey is different so there isn’t a real way of predicting your mums health trajectory.
Even if there was, for example, a fortune teller predicted the exact date of Nans death would any of you shed one tear less because you knew?
Take a deep breath and come into the here and now. Today your mum is with you, today she has overcome the infections. That is today.
you will always have compassion and encouragement on this site whatever.
Thank you it has been hard but I know me and my sister are strong. Mum has just started on her medication. I think it is memantine and been told it can cause shortness of breath which is worrying as mum has asthma and is diabetic and overweight. I actually received the diagnosis with mum as she was completely unaware. As we were leaving I told her now is the time to live your life so I hope she has listened to me as she’s suffered with mental health since I was young. Thanks for the advice

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Linzwinz , and welcome to Dementia Talking Point, though I'm sorry that your mother's diagnosis has brought you here.
If you haven't done so already now is the time to get Lasting Power of Attorney sorted if you can. It may also be time to start thinking about getting a bit of support for your mum. so that she gets used to people popping in for if she need more help down the line.
I don't want to bombard you with stuff, but I wonder if this would help too.