John Suchet's wife

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Bruce....

That's another one out of the closet!

I thought that report covered a good lot of aspects..his sadness and frustration...his wife's loss of capacity...and the lack of appropriately trained Nurses....not to mention the "Post Code lottery"

Love gigi xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
So moving to listen to John Suchet and strangely 'uplifting' to realise that all my feelings are exactly the same as other peoples and that I am not a freak!

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
I agree Sue.

It is helpful to know that others have had the same concerns. I thought John Suchet explained the problems associated with the disease very clearly.

Clive

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
My elderly mother has just phoned me to comment on the interview...she was crying...:(

She said he told it exactly how it is...

And from her perspective it described my life too...not to mention the countless others who are battling on with it in their lives.

Love gigi xx

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
I found the interview very moving too. How great that he could come on TV and talk about the problems of dementia and carers. Anyone in his situation will understand exactly what he was saying and why he broke down. The figures he spoke of really hit home - it's totally ridiculous that there are only 60 admiral nurses in the country. When he spoke of 'betraying a confidence' while talking about this private issue of his wife, it made me realise that this is something that I have felt. Filling in the Attendance Allowance form was one of the hardest things I have done recently - putting it all down on paper, I felt I was betraying my mum.
Anyway, a heartfelt and honest interview from John Suchet - thank you to him.
Gill x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I've only just watched the interview.

Five minutes of John Suchet were way more powerful than the entire two hours of Terry Pratchett recently.

Absolutely spot on in every way.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Five minutes of John Suchet were way more powerful than the entire two hours of Terry Pratchett recently.

Absolutely spot on in every way.

Absolutely, Bruce.

It was a most moving interview, told it exactly how it was, and showed what an emotional experience it was for John.

And he made the point very clearly of the lack of support for carers.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It was so good to hear someone talk about, Admiral nurses.
It’s all down to post code if you get an Admiral Nurses,
We only have 60 admiral nurses in the whole of UK.

I lived just across the Local authority of John Suchet,I always thought how unfair that I can phone the admiral nurses, but my mother cannot have one in our Post code ,
So it was so good to hear it said publicly about admiral nurse post code, we only have 60 admiral nurses in UK, & John saying that every person with Dementia could have a admiral nurse.

I also only saw the Video from this link, must say John look very passionate, to be talking about it openly.

Seeing John only now talking about it .

I wonder if Terry Pratchett inspired him on to finally talk about it so openly publicly like that on TV.

Sound all so positive.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thanks for the link, I watched it at lunchtime. John spoke very well and highlighted the lack of awareness of dementia, and the lack of support for sufferers and their carers; as well as demonstrating the pain he is suffering.

Somebody remarked earlier in the thread that John had 'come out', and I think that's a very good description of what we all go through when we or are loved ones are diagnosed with dementia. We all have to break through that social stigma of admitting dementia.

When I clicked back on the page there was a reference to daffodils possibly providing a treatment for AD and it put me in mind of the recognisable logo for Marie Curie; as well as the pink ribbon for breast awareness and the red ribbon for AIDS awareness and so on. Perhaps this belongs in a separate thread (please feel free to move), but I wondered if this was something that had been tried by AS? I know there was an elephant type logo (presumably as an elephant never forgets :eek:); but a green and blue ribbon in the AS colours would be a more simple and effective badge.

I know the expense of launching a nationwide advertising campaign could be prohibitive (especially as all charities are feeling the pinch just now) but something very simple like this could raise some much needed awareness. Say for example John Suchet had appeared on Breakfast Time wearing it and drawn attention to it? Hugh Grant recently appeared on the One Show with his instantly recognisable daffodil and talked about the care and support his mother and the family had received from Marie Curie. Just a thought.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
[QUOTE); but a green and blue ribbon in the AS colours would be a more simple and effective badge.][/QUOTE]

Sue....I think that's a VERY GOOD idea....:)

love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Sandy.

I`m sure I was sent some address stickers showing the Forget me not flower, but you jogged my memory about the seeds. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I know nothing about this sort of thing but it would make sense if there could be some kind of agreement between all the Alzheimer's charities to get behind one specific symbol, in the same way breast cancer awareness and aids ribbons are global rather than country specific. Might be like herding cats though.