Jeremy Vine programme BBC Radio 2 today

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I just happened to catch a telephone call on air to Jeremy Vine, on the subject of disability.

It was a man from Northern Ireland, whose wife has Alzheimer's and can't speak or move. He cares for her at home. They have been married for 50 years.

He said he has not had a 'conversation' in 3 years and very little in the way of single word replies, particularly in the last few months.

But he still takes her, in a wheelchair, to the supermarket, to give her the opportunity of being out.

He said that he has to strap her in for her safety, and therefore has to kneel to do her legs. Recently, when kneeling, he said "would you marry me over again?".

She replied "yes".

Most touching.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
it was 28 minutes into the program and if you can connect to the BBC Radio 2 web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/, you can replay it, once they have put it up there......

By the way, I just spotted that the item appears to have been entitled "mercy killing"... :eek: Certainly the man in question was NOT talking in that vein, and this was the only sliver of the programme that I picked up!