It's finished

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
I have not posted here for quite a while. During that time a lot has happened. My wife had been diagnosed with Alzheimers about ten years ago.
The illness followed the usual path and she was admitted to a care home two years ago and things became easier for the family in general. Fast forward two years and numerous visits to A and E for falls and feeding issues. The hospital eventually said that she had reached the end of life and so no more treatment was possible.
She entered a nursing home two months ago and they did their best to help with feeding problems but to no avail. Slow deterioration continued and I was awakened at 4.30am on Christmas day with a phone call to say that she had passed.
I feel now comforted by the fact that she is at peace now as the misery inflicted by Alzheimers is now over.
John.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My sincere condolences @john1939 - I am sure that those of us who have reached this stage of the journey will understand the comfort that you now feel in knowing that your wife is at peace following her battle.

It is time for you to rest and heal now.

Sandypants

Apr 22, 2022
I have not posted here for quite a while. During that time a lot has happened. My wife had been diagnosed with Alzheimers about ten years ago.
The illness followed the usual path and she was admitted to a care home two years ago and things became easier for the family in general. Fast forward two years and numerous visits to A and E for falls and feeding issues. The hospital eventually said that she had reached the end of life and so no more treatment was possible.
She entered a nursing home two months ago and they did their best to help with feeding problems but to no avail. Slow deterioration continued and I was awakened at 4.30am on Christmas day with a phone call to say that she had passed.
I feel now comforted by the fact that she is at peace now as the misery inflicted by Alzheimers is now over.
John.
So sorry to hear of your loss on what should be the best day of the year, but as you say, your wife is now at peace and out of the misery of the dreadful Alzheimer’s. It is time now to take care of yourself, as a carer to my husband with the same disease I know how exhausting it is, mentally and physically. x

Grable

May 19, 2015
It's an awful disease and it sounds as if you and your family have borne it bravely. When my mother passed, I still needed the support of this forum - use if if you need to!

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
John.
Your wife is at peace,it's time for you to continue grieving while healing,thinking of you and your journey these past years❤️

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Your journey with your wife has been long and hard. At last she is at peace, and her passing on Christmas Day is very poignant. I hope you can now find peace and the strength to continue on your journey through life, supported by your friends and family. Time to care for yourself now John1939