It just gets better!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well , all I can say is I hope that today is not repeated!
Arrived at dads and a few minutes later a friend arrived to do dad’s garage door and to put an overflow in dad’s toilet.
He started okay and then hit the water pipe.
Dad didn’t know where to turn it off , neither did I.So I ran to dad’s neighbour who did. Meanwhile Asda arrived and then mum.
The Asda man was shouting to the handyman where the mains where to turn it off as he couldn’t hear where we were saying.
I was trying to put away the shopping and dad was telling me where he thought it was (no where near it). Mum was going through her list of the shopping and going on about toilet rolls and where were they.I checked my list and I had forgotten to order them as she talks as I’m trying to do things. That wasn’t right. She wasn’t happy. Meanwhile the water was switched off!
I personally could have downed a bottle of wine at that point!
Mum stayed for a bit and had a tea and chocolate as she didn’t want lunch.
I was making a tea for the handyman when she went I didn’t have much to eat as my appetite went. The toilet finally got fixed (we hope) and dad was “um um” which I have learnt is the toilet sign from dad. He needs to go but is trying not to.So I took him to the toilet (it was a bit late really)as it was every where in the pad ,on the toilet. The best bit was it was on my shoe!! I got him sorted and supported him to bed. ..He was embarrassed but as a paid carer in a previous life it’s all in a days work. Dad is having more of these accidents now. Plus his standing on the Sara Steady is only a couple of minutes now and it is getting worse by the day..
The funniest thing about today is I had to get on the train in a pair of dad’s old slippers, to come home. I now have to wash my sandals.. Living dangerously today!!

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Well , all I can say is I hope that today is not repeated!
Arrived at dads and a few minutes later a friend arrived to do dad’s garage door and to put an overflow in dad’s toilet.
He started okay and then hit the water pipe.
Dad didn’t know where to turn it off , neither did I.So I ran to dad’s neighbour who did. Meanwhile Asda arrived and then mum.
The Asda man was shouting to the handyman where the mains where to turn it off as he couldn’t hear where we were saying.
I was trying to put away the shopping and dad was telling me where he thought it was (no where near it). Mum was going through her list of the shopping and going on about toilet rolls and where were they.I checked my list and I had forgotten to order them as she talks as I’m trying to do things. That wasn’t right. She wasn’t happy. Meanwhile the water was switched off!
I personally could have downed a bottle of wine at that point!
Mum stayed for a bit and had a tea and chocolate as she didn’t want lunch.
I was making a tea for the handyman when she went I didn’t have much to eat as my appetite went. The toilet finally got fixed (we hope) and dad was “um um” which I have learnt is the toilet sign from dad. He needs to go but is trying not to.So I took him to the toilet (it was a bit late really)as it was every where in the pad ,on the toilet. The best bit was it was on my shoe!! I got him sorted and supported him to bed. ..He was embarrassed but as a paid carer in a previous life it’s all in a days work. Dad is having more of these accidents now. Plus his standing on the Sara Steady is only a couple of minutes now and it is getting worse by the day..
The funniest thing about today is I had to get on the train in a pair of dad’s old slippers, to come home. I now have to wash my sandals.. Living dangerously today!!
An amusing post. But behind it clearly something far from such and in fact extremely challenging. To share what is indeed a very difficult situation and to " make light" of it in the telling, shows courage and commitment in admirable measure.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
An amusing post. But behind it clearly something far from such and in fact extremely challenging. To share what is indeed a very difficult situation and to " make light" of it in the telling, shows courage and commitment in admirable measure.
Thank you. I never thought of it like that. It just “is”..

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
My mum tries to talk to me when doing an online order which is why today’s click and collect has substitutions that will have to go back; normally I mark the no subs box.
A nightmare of a day for you, hope you had time to sit and relax when you got home

Grable

May 19, 2015
TNJJ, what a day! But then, I don't suppose it's too much out of the ordinary in your situation, is it?
You reminded me of a time with my mum, before her dementia got very bad. We'd decided to take a run out in the car - one of her favourite things to do - and went to a place out in the countryside. It had been a farm and all the farm buildings had been turned into craft shops, etc. As her walking wasn't too good, I went up some stairs to look at some birthday cards. When I came down, I spotted Mum, with her walking stick, moving rather quickly. I caught up with her and discovered she was desperate for the loo. I located one and got her to it. Sadly, I didn't put her in a disabled loo - you'll see why that would have been a good idea later.

I stood outside, with her walking stick while she went in to do her business. "Oh dear! Oh dear!" I heard. Eventually, I managed to get her to unlock the door. It was everywhere!! A very kind lady in a neighbouring shop gave me some old towels that she used for her dogs and she had some disinfectant, too, which she gave me after I'd explained what had happened. I spent the next hour trying to stop Mum from moving, as we were both in a small cubicle - luckily with a wash-hand basin - and I cleaned it all up. Then I had to take her skirt and underskirt off her to wash those in the sink. Her shoes, also, had to go in the sink. Mum made her way back to the car clad in wet shoes and an underskirt!

After that, I never left the house with Mum without a bucket, disinfectant, flasks of hot water and a change of clothes. I never needed them again, but didn't want to find myself in that situation again! Oh, and she was always directed to the disabled toilet :)

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
TNJJ, what a day! But then, I don't suppose it's too much out of the ordinary in your situation, is it?
You reminded me of a time with my mum, before her dementia got very bad. We'd decided to take a run out in the car - one of her favourite things to do - and went to a place out in the countryside. It had been a farm and all the farm buildings had been turned into craft shops, etc. As her walking wasn't too good, I went up some stairs to look at some birthday cards. When I came down, I spotted Mum, with her walking stick, moving rather quickly. I caught up with her and discovered she was desperate for the loo. I located one and got her to it. Sadly, I didn't put her in a disabled loo - you'll see why that would have been a good idea later.

I stood outside, with her walking stick while she went in to do her business. "Oh dear! Oh dear!" I heard. Eventually, I managed to get her to unlock the door. It was everywhere!! A very kind lady in a neighbouring shop gave me some old towels that she used for her dogs and she had some disinfectant, too, which she gave me after I'd explained what had happened. I spent the next hour trying to stop Mum from moving, as we were both in a small cubicle - luckily with a wash-hand basin - and I cleaned it all up. Then I had to take her skirt and underskirt off her to wash those in the sink. Her shoes, also, had to go in the sink. Mum made her way back to the car clad in wet shoes and an underskirt!

After that, I never left the house with Mum without a bucket, disinfectant, flasks of hot water and a change of clothes. I never needed them again, but didn't want to find myself in that situation again! Oh, and she was always directed to the disabled toilet :)
That made me smile ?.Dads bathroom is not much bigger than a cubicle so I get it. But yes , it is getting to be a regular occurrence.