is this abuse, innapropriate or acceptable?

choccy

Jul 20, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi all, The manager has been off work since I first posted! I haven't seen Mary's daughter yet either.
I went to visit Dad yesterday and the 'carer' was on shift.
She clearly hates her job. She doesn't speak to any residents or staff for that matter! The senior carer on shift was constantly having to tell her to do her job.
I Think I will put it in writing as suggested , I'm just glad this girl doesn't work nights, at least on day shifts she's rarely alone with residents.

Perfect example of how inept she is, my Dad's lived there 6 months and if he needs anything he bypass's her and goes to someone else! He doesn't see her as a care giver at all.

I'll keep you posted, gonna write tonight after work.

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
report the carer to the home's manager and if you don't think you're being taken seriously report it to the home's owners, especially if it's one of the chains

Sharon Waugh

May 7, 2012
Surrey
Omg. Def report her. I've just been told my mum has to go into a home and this has scared me. How do I know if the home I choose is the right one?

Tooshie

Apr 28, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Disrespectful and humiliating

Submit a written report of your observation and ask to see their Patient's Charter, Anti-Bullying, Harrasment and Dignity Policies for future reference. Stick to the facts, including dates and times and keep emotion out of your communication.

That is an infringement of Mary's dignity for sure.

Awful

x

lady g

Feb 5, 2012
south yorkshire
Please report her it just not right. What else is she doing and getting away with. Look at the television reports of late, what if its one of our parents.:mad: Please dont let it go on shes a bully and not fit for the job. CARER i think not :mad::mad::mad::mad:

choccy

Jul 20, 2011
Derbyshire
Ok, I've just typed the complaint and popped it in the post box.
hopefully it will be dealt with promptly.

I do know that Dads care home has sacked staff for less, one person lost her job for verbally disrespecting a resident by commenting on the smell whilst doing toilet duties.

I'm pretty sure this will be taken seriously, although I will follow it up anyway.
I do have to say, all the other care givers at Dads home are great and Dad, fortunately is still in a position to communicate any problems.

I'll keep you posted x

dizzydeb

Jan 31, 2011
Cheshire
I've been a carer in a nursing home for a short while and in my opinion this is definitely unacceptable behaviour. I'd report it. best wishes xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Wouldn't you wonder though how people like this get jobs in care homes in the first place, and keep them - when so many people are out of work? I know at least two people who are highly trained care workers - and have been unable to get work because they don't have "paid experience". All they have is the work placement (six months unpaid work experience) they had to do while on their college training course. And that's part of the reason they can't get work - one of them told me that from what he's seen here, a lot of care homes are using students on work placement to supplement their staff, as they don't have to pay them. They are not supposed to count them as part of their staff/resident ratio, but they do. And once their six months placement is up, they have to leave as there is "no job available" - and after a short interval, more students are given work experience places.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I have to say that most care homes in my area have long serving members of staff who have worked in the same care home for long periods of time. For example I would imagine in the London area there may be a high turnover of staff because there are other jobs to go to. Here in the north of England where jobs are scarcer, this turnover of staff does not seem to take place much.

I think a lot depends on the areas and whether the care homes are part of large chains of companies and if the top management have put proper, safeguarding procedures in place.

I wonder if other members of staff have also made complaints about this carers behaviour? I would imagine in a care home where the general level of care is good, other workers would be concerned and reporting their concerns to management. I suppose this depends on the 'culture' within each care home and again points to an open and transparent management policy.

I'm very glad that you have reported this behaviour which from your posts does seem to be 'standing out' from the general, much better attitudes of most of the staff.

xxTinaT