Is this a scam............

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
...........or am I being over-cautious?

Shortly before Christmas I received a phone call form someone with an asian accent, saying they were from Microsoft customer services. I had sent error messages (which I had, my old laptop was constantly freezing), and they were going to rectify the error.

I was to hit 'Run', and key in the address thay would give me, then they could put things right. Because I had registered Windows, they had to maintain it.

I've had PCs for about 25 years, and no-one has ever responded to an error message. I said I wasn't going to let anyone into my computer without knowing who they were. They said,'But I've just told you who I am'. I said 'But you would say that, wouldn't you?', and hung up.

I've just had another call, saying the same thing.

I've already replaced the laptop that was causing the problems, but I'd like to know if this is genuine, and if not, to warn people about it.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Hazel,

I've never heard anything like this before. It does not sounds legit to me. :confused:

Take care,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
A call out of the blue I would be concerned about.

I would definitely ask for more information if you want to explore this.

I did a Google check and something a bit different came up on a forum elsewhere
Has anyone ever received a phone call from someone from Microsoft asking that they call them back at an 800 number with a 4 digit extension. They referred to me by my first name. They gave no clues or hints as to what it was about and I cant tell what department it is from. I tried calling back at about 6:30 pm and the the lady that the extension took me to was not there.

Generally I think Microsoft wants money for on line support so an ad hoc call is a little worrying, and I would think, unlikely.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I get Microsoft error messages every day Hazel but I have only had online requests to evaluate them.

Brokenhearted

Nov 27, 2009
Wales
Scam?

Hi Hazel,
I think I'd be wary of such phone calls, people are up to all sorts these days. Why not email Microsoft customer services and ask? Just a thought.
Take care,
Brokenhearted

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks everyone. I've checked the link, Jennifer, and it does sound similar. I'm going to send reports to all the places they suggest -- plus Microsoft.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've just received an email from Microsoft:

Thank you for your email about the authenticity of the call received.

I was concerned to know that you have received calls purported to be from Microsoft. We appreciate you for taking the time to provide information about the received call. I would like to assure you that we do consider such information to be extremely valuable as it helps us to improve the service that we offer. With this in mind I will make sure that your information is passed to the appropriate department for their consideration.

We do not make telephone calls unless we have a request for technical support from the customer. I would suggest you to ignore the call and please do not provide any of your personal details. Privacy and Security are very important to us here at Microsoft, and we work every day to build great software for the Internet that keeps information safe, secure and private.

It is indeed a scam!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just had an email from the local paper, they want to feature the story, and are coming tomorrow to take a photo!:eek:

Oh dear, I wish I hadn't eaten all those chocolates!!!!:(

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well done to the paper for taking this story further.

Don't worry Hazel. Just smile your lovely smile. It will all be O.K. (Remember to turn slightly sideways - tip from my stage days:D)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Holding heads up disguises double chins hazel. Take it from one who knows. :D :eek:
Well done to you and well done to your local paper.
Love xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Tongue on the roof of the mouth!! (That's what my friend always says but I think I just end up looking strangulated!)

You'll have to post a link to their article.

Well done! Izzy x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'd need to be a contortionist to follow all your tips!:D

I'm not sure it will be important enough to be online. I emailed Daily Mail and Border TV too, but haven't heard from them. Border TV is too busy with weather reports! It was -14 here last night apparently, and -3 at lunchtime!:eek::eek::eek:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Well just read this and yes a scam for sure.
Good luck with the paparazzi!

I found this link during my recent wrangle with the Telegraph - I have a fear of having my photo taken :eek:

Useful stuff including tips on making our chins behave :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Photogenic