Is there a solution? Other than just talk too yourself?

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I don't really know where to start, but start I must! What is really there for me in my every day life?
I must first say that I am in no way sorry for myself in spite of the Alzheimer's and now the P.C.A I would be far more concerned if it were one of my children that was affected.
I am so grateful for the love and care that I get from my daughter, but I have no one to talk to other than Joy, I can no longer cope with the phone.
The highlight of my life is if I can manage to go to the toilet once or if I'm lucky twice a week! Something most of you don't really want too know I'm sure, but Alzheimer's is not just about memory, it affects also all your bodily functionality and add in the P.C.A that also affects your sight,but in a quite insidious way by distorting what you can see some times in a frightening way and the truth is the part of your brain that enables you too see is dying and with no known timeline.
The good news, for me anyway, is that generally it allows you too retain much of your thought process, and you can still empathise with others and understand them. Speech is a different matter, so is trying to hand write anything or add up numbers or just deal with numbers in any meaningful way.
My predictive txt writes almost all of this for me now,otherwise it would just be a load of rubbish making no sense at all.
The memory clinic people are very kind see me once every six months mainly too see if I can still stay on the Ebixa. They say just call them if any problems!
At my age most of my friends have either died or have some kind of Dementia themselves any relatives live a long way away. A sad fact of life I'm afraid
I'm quite good at being on my own, but it would be nice now and then too have someone to talk to and with. Not about the disease but I have many interests and would be interested also in theirs. My speech may be slow and I forget what I want too say,but often get there in the end!
Is there a solution surely there must be, mus,not there!?❤️

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jeanie

Have you tried the Alzheimer`s society`s befriender system? I don `t know if there is anyone available in your area but the helpline will be able to point you in the right direction.

Befrienders are not just about dementia, they are about anything you would like them to be, going out for walks, of a drink or simply chatting about interests and daily life.

You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

There is also a way to find what is available in your local area.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...838309.1496354917-4012989.1474725286#!/search

Activities and social groups
Advocacy

Care or support in the home

Information, support and advice
Support in the community
Transport

I do hope you manage to find what you need. I think your attitude is inspirational.

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Hi Jeanie. you are certainly not feeling sorry for yourself. The sense of separation from others apart from daughter is very real to you and others. While i share a number of my loved ones hobbies like you I have interests of my own. I am a historian and have very real need to explore or revisit interests of my own. To this end i find google a real asset for me. Are you still able to use the internet? If so, can you explore your interests through this source. As suggested the befrienders scheme seems a way forward for you. I hope that you will find a something that will help you with your feeling of isolation.

Take care.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Sorry I have been so long replying to this,but the problem has been mainly solved mainly because I have been so tired since I wrote this!
A bit reminiscent of the dreaded fog i.e. Wake up get my breakfast and within a couple of hours desperately tired and sleep again. If not actually asleep hardly passes for being awake! Not quite so bad today, but would certainly be difficult to have a conversation.
Many thanks for fepl, make that replies!❤️❤️❤️

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1