Is my mum approaching end of life care?

T-man

Aug 18, 2022
My mum was diagnosed with lewy body dementia a couple of months ago. She didn't seem like had dementia but she was depressed and had confusion as well.

The last couple of weeks she hasn't been eating only just the liquid fortisip and some apple juice or water.

She goes in and out of sleep and can be very restless. She's been calling some relatives names who have passed away and it feels like she's hallucinating. Her hands are very swellon and her looks like it has blood marking.

The hospital have been giving her iv for her Potassium level and antibiotics for the pain she's feeling. They suggesting to stop the treatment and look giving it just for her pain.

They also suggesting palliative care for her.

All of this experience makes me feel very sad and angry. Seeing her in this condition and the thought that I might be losing her.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @T-man
a warm welcome to DTP
though so sorry to read how things are for your mum and for you

no wonder you are feeling so sad and angry

it does sound as though your mum is very poorly ... I'm not sure that any of us, though, can answer your question ... sometimes the medics wait for a cue from family members before saying exactly what may be happening, so might you ask to speak with the staff nurse, tell them your concerns and what you think and ask them to be blunt with you as you wish to know

keep posting ... we may not be able to directly help but we will offer support and understanding

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
My mum was diagnosed with lewy body dementia a couple of months ago. She didn't seem like had dementia but she was depressed and had confusion as well.

The last couple of weeks she hasn't been eating only just the liquid fortisip and some apple juice or water.

She goes in and out of sleep and can be very restless. She's been calling some relatives names who have passed away and it feels like she's hallucinating. Her hands are very swellon and her looks like it has blood marking.

The hospital have been giving her iv for her Potassium level and antibiotics for the pain she's feeling. They suggesting to stop the treatment and look giving it just for her pain.

They also suggesting palliative care for her.

All of this experience makes me feel very sad and angry. Seeing her in this condition and the thought that I might be losing her.
T-man: I am so sorry to hear of your mum. PWD do go through phases of not wanting to eat and it is very hard. My mum was very similar months/weeks before she died she no longer had an appetite and the hospital would always be telling me that she had eaten and drank very little. She also started having difficulty with her swallowing & was put on a pureed diet. I would speak to the hospital doctor and voice your concerns and find out exactly what the next step is regarding your mum. They should be explaining if she is at end of life and what happens now! Hope you get some answers.

T-man

Aug 18, 2022
I called the hospital today to see if I can speak to her. They mentioned she's doing very poorly. She isn't able to talk and is only able to look at people. It's worse than the other days. If I and my family can see her. I'm on my way to visit her

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I called the hospital today to see if I can speak to her. They mentioned she's doing very poorly. She isn't able to talk and is only able to look at people. It's worse than the other days. If I and my family can see her. I'm on my way to visit her

It's so sad. Wishing you all strength.

T-man

Aug 18, 2022
Sadly my mum passed away this morning. I pray she's at peace now. I'm happy I got to see her yesterday and tell her that I'll be fine. Thank you for everything you did in my life mum. I'll always love you and keep your legacy shining bright.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news @T-man. I’m so glad you were able to be with her.

Wishing you strength.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5