Is moving right?

Jan S

Jan 30, 2018
hi everyone
My mum has a mixed type dementia and pre diagnosis wanted to buy into sheltered accom because she was isolated.
With the condition she swings from wanting to go, to not wanting to go; the former more-so.
There seem to be pros and cons to both.
How do you know what’s best for her?
Help!

Rose567

Jan 30, 2018
hi everyone
My mum has a mixed type dementia and pre diagnosis wanted to buy into sheltered accom because she was isolated.
With the condition she swings from wanting to go, to not wanting to go; the former more-so.
There seem to be pros and cons to both.
How do you know what’s best for her?
Help!
Maybe talk to the warden at the accommodation and your gp ?

Jan S

Jan 30, 2018
Maybe talk to the warden at the accommodation and your gp ?
Yep have done. GP agreed in summer but the move has taken a very long time! Perhaps a revisit is timely. Have been warned against taking advice from warden as they may Have a vested interest in the sale.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We are in Extra Supported Housing, which is one stage better as it has carers on site. Of course your mum would need to have a need for a care plan to qualify, but it may be worth speaking to social services at least with a view to the future.
Welcome to TP @Jan S and @Rose567.

Jan S

Jan 30, 2018
We are in Extra Supported Housing, which is one stage better as it has carers on site. Of course your mum would need to have a need for a care plan to qualify, but it may be worth speaking to social services at least with a view to the future.
Welcome to TP @Jan S and @Rose567.
Thanks both. We have a care plan but presently - and thankfully - current needs aren’t great. It does enable a little care to be paid for for basic specific needs.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thanks both. We have a care plan but presently - and thankfully - current needs aren’t great. It does enable a little care to be paid for for basic specific needs.

If you are the stage of needing a care plan, I think that a stay in sheltered housing may not last that long. My mum is in sheltered extra care/extra supported housing and it has been fantastic for her.

With dementia it is always hard to stay a step ahead, and always hard to accept that a loved one has deteriorated.

I looked at sheltered for my mum, and ultimately realised that just being on her own in a flat, without any encouragement to join in and needing to work out everything for herself was too much.

At first she had carers am and pm to assist with meds ( a prompt only) and went to the onsite restaurant for her lunch. She was, and still is making a cup of tea in the morning and getting her own breakfast, she used to sort out a sandwich for herself in the evening, but now I have carers in to heat a microwave meal, although she will often do this just before they get there.

The care team are on site so no rushing to the next call as it is a stroll down the corridor, and they have got to know my mum so that as she has deteriorated they have been able to persuade her to accept support.

I suggest you look round in your area to see what is available, some areas have a lot and some don't.

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
Looking at how much my Mother has deteriorated in less then 12 months, I would be very hesitant to buy somewhere. Last February she was doing everything herself bar shopping and changing her bed. This February it's as much I can do to leave her whilst I take 30 minute dog walk, no self care, no cooking, no nothing. I would say bide your time