Is it just old age or depression?

SarahAF

Sep 4, 2018
My Mum has always been forgetful, ever since I remember as a child, but recently has been a lot worse. She repeats the same question ten times in as many minutes, has given up cooking, yet blames my Dad for 'taking over' and not allowing her in the kitchen (not true), is completely silent in company then rages at not being included and weeps, which is out of character, has given up reading and wanders aimlessly around the home, not seeming to settle. . She seems depressed and has admitted to not being herself, and yet absolutely shuts down any conversation about whether she is 'forgetful, and is everything alright, we're worried about you etc etc'. She has always been quite complex and is very difficult to talk to about her own issues. We are always very gentle and understanding, but it seems more desperate now. She switched meds in June, onto co-codomal for migraine (on prescription) June is when she had a sudden worsening of symptoms. Could this be part of the problem? My Dad is going to see their Doctor and ask him to invite her in for assessment. Deep in my heart I feel this is the start of dementia, so clasping at straws really. Any advice most welcome.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @SarahAF, welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Your Dad is doing the right thing in getting a check-up done. It would help the doctor if you make a list of all the little things you have noticed as history is important. Many treatable conditions can cause symptoms that mimic dementia so a few blood tests and the like may be arranged.

Now that you have found us do keep posting with any questions etc., and do let us know how you get on.

If you want to read about this stage, here's a link to the relevant AS Factsheet https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @SarahAF welcome to TP

There is many reasons for memory difficulties including dementia I think as a first step your Dad is doing exactly the right thing for your Mum.
I do hope you soon get some answers.

If you want to delve a bit deeper I’ve enclosed the link to the Alzheimer’s society’s publications and fact sheets
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

I hope you will keep posting now you have found us

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B