Is Dentia always a death sentence

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
Does Dementia always lead to death; can some people just very slowly age, like normal people have done historically getting a little bit 'less with it' as people always have done?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I hesitate to say that everything leads to death, but that’s flippant. I think dementia can shorten life, and my OHs consultant has give us 2-3 years as a ball park. He has Alzheimer’s and Lewy Body. Everyone is different and they react differently. Ageing is one thing but dementia is another.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Does Dementia always lead to death; can some people just very slowly age, like normal people have done historically getting a little bit 'less with it' as people always have done?
I think most people with dementia usually die of some other illness. Pneumonia is one, my dad had cancer but I am not sure that the cancer actually killed him, I think it more likely that it was just his poor body eventually gave up. I looked on it as a kind of blessing which is very sad but I am sure most people would understand and agree with me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum died from (not with) dementia.
Quite often they will die from something else first, but if there is nothing else then, yes they die from dementia.
Unfortunately, dementia is a condition where brain cells atrophy and die. This affects memory, but not just memory because the brain cells dying happens eventually throughout the brain, so everything - logic, reasoning, ability to perform tasks, mobility, behaviour, speech, continence - all go. Eventually the dying brain can no longer control all the body functions and they start slowly to shut down. Finally the swallow reflex is lost and breathing and heart beat cannot be maintained.

This is very, very different from normal aging. The popular picture of people with dementia just becoming more forgetful and fading away is far far from the reality

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Unfortunately it is terminal and dementia will cause death if something else desn't get you first. A lot of physical stuff comes into play in the later stages, so mobility is affected, speech and eventually even swallowing.

My mum was lucky to have nothing much (else) wrong with her and her death certificate gives dementia as cause of death.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Dementia is a terminal illness. Some people die of something else first but if the person dies of dementia then this will be at the end of a long(ish) journey during which the body gradually shuts down. It’s not the same as someone ‘dying of old age’. Dementia makes people frail in a way that a person of a similar age without dementia is not.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Hi , @Chris100 I wonder if this free online course would be of help to you? My OH has no medical knowledge unlike the rest of the family, so he found this course to be of great help. I am not sure when the next one starts. One of my ex colleagues was involved in the course content.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Dementia is a terminal illness but it is hard to be specific about length of time between onset and death as this can be short or several years. In the past, recording of dementia as a cause on death certificates was less prevalent than it is now. It is not uncommon for other conditions (comorbidities) such as respiratory disease and circulatory disease to be recorded on death certificates. This Public Health England briefing may be of interest to those who like numbers. The discussion session at the end gives a general overview.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Chris I can only answer about myself and immediate family personal experiences with dementia

now your question “Does Dementia always lead to death” lets put this in perspective and get realistic I was diagnosed in 1999 aged 56 I’m now almost 79 so coming up for 23 years still alive and kicking

my dad had dementia foe well over 20 years died aged 85 my mum also had dementia for a few years died aged 94 both parents died of Cancer not dementia mums brother and sister both had dementia and died aged 92 and 89 I think they died of cancer as well but not 100% sure

so again speaking of personal experience no dementia has hastened death

speaking generally depend at what aged your diagnosed and what other medical conditions you may have

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
Thank you, so much. Sorry about the miss-spellin of Dementia, it was a click issue.