iPad or Android for sufferer

CarpeDiem

Sep 21, 2013
My mother has recently been diagnosed with alzheimers and used to enjoy using her PC for genealogy, emails, shopping etc - she is now having problems using it and my dad wants to get her something to use for braintraining exercises etc - is it necessary to go to the expense of an iPad or would a good quality Android Tablet suffice ? does anyone have any experience with sufferers using such equipment ?? Thanks C

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Personal choice go for the iPad, more versatile and all right a bit more expensive but much better quality and can link if you have them to the Mac and iPhone. My mum is beyond them now but likes looking at mine (photo's )and my niece and son do get her in contact with relatives in Germany etc.
I mention the niece because she shows her the stage reels etc. My husband has a Brain Trainer simply because he likes the exercises but uses my Ipad for doing loads of other stuff.

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
My husband (with early AD) was desperate to have an iPad because a friend of his had one so I bought him one for last Christmas. Sad to say that it has been £700 worth of a mistake, because he has never been able to use it, and it seriously upset him when he couldn't get the hang of it at all - I got it going but basically he hasn't been anywhere near it since. Now I'm the only one who uses it when we are away from the house as it's lighter and more transportable than the laptop (which he can't use either). For brain-training exercises, our psycho-neuro recommended 'Brain Trainer, 90Day Workout' book, available from Amazon, plus crossword books.

Sorry to say, but if they've lost the ability to use the laptop that they were on every day, they really can't learn the new skills necessary to use a different operating system like an iPad.

Apologies if this sounds hard, but it's how it is.

SilverLark

Sep 21, 2013
My mother was so unhappy when she could no longer work her laptop. She had been very tech savvy and it was sad. However, looking at pictures on the iPad was always a big hit. We'd look at family pictures (most she didn't recognize but we looked anyway) or pictures of dogs and animals that I put into iPhoto. I also found that there were a few games we could have fun with on the iPad - one was Kaleido Pro (there's also a free one that has ads) - it is a nice drawing program that looks like a kaleidoscope and I could take turns with her touching the screen, even after she lost most of her motor skills. Also, Koi Pond was another favorite - not much going on but nice to look at and touch. She always enjoyed holding it and touching it. As the disease progress it gets harder and harder to find activities and the iPad was always good for a few minutes or so. I say go for it, just spend some time looking for simple programs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980