Installing cameras

YvonneD

Jun 17, 2022
I’d like to install cameras into my mum’s house. She doesn’t have Wi-Fi and I can imagine if work people come in it’ll distress her. She has very few plug sockets. She also believes It’s right and safe to unplug things (including the dementia clock ?). Any advice please? Thanks.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @YvonneD, even if you have wired in CCTV you will still need wifi to be able to monitor the cameras in real time - MIL's is wired in and we get a notification every time someone rings the doorbell. You will also need a safe place to hide the hard drive for CCTV - MIL found hers hidden in the attic!. We plan ring type doorbells and associated cameras for my parents.
Without WIFI we couldn't get the notifications or check who has turned up ( I caught a homeless woman who convinced MIL to let her in last year who was asking where her "medications" were kept.
You can buy single and double lockable boxes that fit over the plug sockets from a variety of places online. We found they were good for normal plugs but not the larger transformer type. If the house wiring is not ancient it shouldn't be too much of a problem for an electrician to add extra spurs or turn single plugs into double ones.

YvonneD

Jun 17, 2022
Hi @YvonneD, even if you have wired in CCTV you will still need wifi to be able to monitor the cameras in real time - MIL's is wired in and we get a notification every time someone rings the doorbell. You will also need a safe place to hide the hard drive for CCTV - MIL found hers hidden in the attic!. We plan ring type doorbells and associated cameras for my parents.
Without WIFI we couldn't get the notifications or check who has turned up ( I caught a homeless woman who convinced MIL to let her in last year who was asking where her "medications" were kept.
You can buy single and double lockable boxes that fit over the plug sockets from a variety of places online. We found they were good for normal plugs but not the larger transformer type. If the house wiring is not ancient it shouldn't be too much of a problem for an electrician to add extra spurs or turn single plugs into double ones.
Thanks very much, yes the house wiring will be ancient,