....incontinence questions again....

lulubel

Oct 17, 2013
Co Durham
At the risk of being very similar to post a couple of weeks ago, I still have advice to ask about incontinence.
My mum, who was diagnosed with AD and VasD last year, 6 months ago, would wear the occasional pad (Always, Tena lady type thing) at night. Now, she wears them all the time. She keeps telling me she has stomach upsets, but I think it may be a lack of control. And there is an increasing amount of cotton wool stuffed down the toilet.

Is this how it happens, just gradually, and seemingly aware she needs the pads, but unable to be in full control. She has recently been reluctant to go out and now won't leave the house, and I wonder if the two are linked.

She knows that she's had an 'accident', and seems to be able to clear it up ok. This has happened before she has lost ability to do small tasks (make a cuppa).

Perhaps I'm just worried about nothing and its just the aging process.....

Oh my... :rolleyes: xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You need to speak to the GP's practice and ask if they have an Incontinence Nurse and can you/Mum please be referred as this is more than just "age related". :)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with cragmaid that it would be good to get this checked pout.

But I also think that, on the whole, the fact that she is recognising a problem, whatever she may say, and attempting to deal with it in the usual way. So if she is referred to a continence clinic there's a good chance that she will be co-operative. This is not always the case.:(

Dusty78

Mar 30, 2014
West Midlands
Hello there. Mom was in a similar position, was having "accidents" and using lots of toilet paper as pads but still washing out underwear. Lost energy and stopped making cups of tea or making a sandwich for herself, but after a check up was found to have a water infection. Cleared up with antibiotics and she is back to making drinks, etc. and the "accidents" are very infrequent. So if you are going to GP may be worth checking for any infection. Hope this may be of use. All the best.